Front Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sintered Pads tend to squeal at lower speeds and really need to be warmed up by applying a few gentle braking actions before you get the full braking power but are good for winter riding. Organic Pads are a all-round all season brake pad unless you are into hairy downhill.

12boy

Guru
I've found a blood curdling shriek from my brakes a far better way to alert those busily talking , texting or listening through ear buds than the pathetic tinkling of my bike bell. Takes a while to tune them up to the frequency that approaches the fingernail on a blackboard noise.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've found a blood curdling shriek from my brakes a far better way to alert those busily talking , texting or listening through ear buds than the pathetic tinkling of my bike bell. Takes a while to tune them up to the frequency that approaches the fingernail on a blackboard noise.
Have you considered buying a non-pathetic bell instead?

si_c

Guru
Pad material and temperature is the biggest factor I've found in disc brake squeal. Running metallic pads in cold weather invariably causes squealing, try changing your pads to an organic/resin variant and see if that fixes the problem.

Usually with disc brakes and contamination they don't make noise they just don't stop the bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

simongt

Guru
Cycle bells, an interesting debate I'm sure - ! I use 'traditional bells on my bikes; sometimes they are 'effective', other times 'useless'. I think it's a lot to do with the many distractions that folk appear to have nowadays; cellphones, earphones, traffic noise, or simply being away with the fairies - ! ^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The people in Ignoramusville, where I live, ignore any bell when they're taking up the entire psyclepath with their mutt on an extendable lead.

Sharky

Guru
I would like to know what you consider a non-pathetic bell.

I've tried all sorts and the old fogies can't hear them because the frequency is above what they are able to hear anymore.

Some sort of low-frequency gong would work.
I often call out "Ding Ding", especially when approaching pedestrians with/without dogs, walking ahead with their backs to me. Usually draws their attention, then a cheery "Thanks" as I pass.
Or approaching horses, call out "cyclist behind" and wait for them to steady the horse before passing.
Don't think I have had a bell on a bike for over 50 years.

Also with horses, I cover up my flashing front light as I pass, to avoid startling them.

Always got to assume that they are deaf (the peds, not the horses) or don't have road sense. This is something that annoys me on shared paths, when out of the blue, cyclists suddenly overtake from behind without slowing down. I am surprised there aren't more accidents.

Top Bottom