Front derailleur - cable stretch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So I'm not mechanically minded but eventually I get there (sometimes).

The LBS did a service of parts of the bike and replaced the cable a few weeks ago. So it's now stretched and I could go back for them to adjust it (as they are happy to do that), but I would like to be able to do this one myself, but I struggle with the front derailleur adjustments.

It rubs the outer edge of the cage in several of the gears. I have tried fiddling with the barrel adjuster (both ways since it's me), and I've yet to notice any real difference. Is it that I've just not turned it far enough?

And when I'm standing with the handlebars in front of me, front gear selector on my left hand side, I should rotate the barrel adjuster forwards? How far? Quarter turns or whole turns?

It is on a giant hybrid.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Forgot to say, 9 speed, and so if it's on the big ring I get some rubbing until I change down to the 4th gear when it's on the stand but I stop noticing it about 5 on the road.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Um, not good at visualising front geary things.

The barrel adjustor usually manages minor tweaks for me, so if not on yours maybe increments of a 1/4 turn on the appropriate hi/lo screw on the derailleur itself. Which one and which way???? (sat at work, I like to have a bike in front of me to be sure).

Otherwise take it to the LBS and ask.them if you can watch.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Try shifting into the big ring and then pulling it so that the front d doesn't touch the chain...then tighten with the barrel adjuster until it stays put when you release the shifter...had the same issue a short while back & problem solved :smile: May have to re-adjust your rear cable afterwards as well though :okay:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why would you have to adjust the rear as well? Aren't they effectually separate when it comes to adjustments!

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well it's rubbing less and the back isn't changing gears cleanly so you could be right ... Just going to have to put it down to butterflies as you say.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What if I think the cage is sitting too close to the down tube, so that in the lowest gear there is still a reasonable clearance to the side? I thought it was meant to be the minimum to avoid rubbing.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Just done a couple of miles and it's significantly better, just back yo the stand to see if I can get rid of the last bit of rubbing!

So thank you very much:okay:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Excellent - no worries - I had a good couple of weeks of experimentation before I finally got rid of all of the rubbing on mine and then got the rear indexed nicely. Seems to be a constant battle, especially when you new cables, because they don't seem to stop stretching out for a few weeks or so, but fixing is oh so satisfying. This video helps with front d set up, but I'd generally try to avoid messing with height, angle and screws unless you want to swear a lot...you'll get there in the end if you do, mind, but you can cause yourself problems :shy: Generally down to tension, I've found and the rear is much easier...just keep to quarter turns...happy to help :smile:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea03ChN-7Vg

Top Bottom