Front derailleur won't move chain to small chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I've got one that sticks through lack of use and to get it working I had to take it off the bike and work it by hand through it's full range of movement with plenty of lubrication. I put a piece of masking tape on the seat tube with a pen mark that corresponded to an easily identifiable bit of it so it was easy to get back on in the same alignment as before.
I also took a photo of it before taking it off in case there was any confusion as to how the cable was to be connected back up.

It needs doing again though.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thanks for the help thus far...I need to spend more time investigating this [difficult getting the time, work, kids, family life, shopping, etc!].

I had a closer look at the Front derailleur and noticed that there was a protective plastic cover on a very tightly-wound spring...so when I was lubing the FD the other day, I was putting lube on the plastic cover by mistake (see poor quality picture)

I've now applied lube to the spring and...(wait for it...)...I still can't get the FD to move the chain to the small chainring. I can't even push the FD by hand to move it on to the small chainring.

I'll have to try some of the suggestions above and see if that fixes the problem.
Will let you know how I get on! Thanks.

I wouldn't remove the mech from the frame except as last resort. Definitely want to disconnect the cable completely from the mech though. Much easier to isolate whether the problem is sticky mech pivots or sticky cable once you've done that.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I bought a second hand Raleigh Cyclone a few weeks ago - it turned out the the cable was frayed and jamming in the guide underneath the frame.

The bike only cost me £12.50 on ebay so I can't complain!

Maz may I ask (only very very slightly tongue in cheek) if the chain has been unshipped recently? Possibly put back on the wrong ring? That way middle would be the new inner.

My grandson visited recently because his bike wouldn't shift down toinner - turned out somebody at school had been playing around.

Other than that you need to undo the cable at the mech end first and see what is really happening.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Maz may I ask (only very very slightly tongue in cheek) if the chain has been unshipped recently? Possibly put back on the wrong ring? That way middle would be the new inner.

My grandson visited recently because his bike wouldn't shift down toinner - turned out somebody at school had been playing around.

Other than that you need to undo the cable at the mech end first and see what is really happening.

Good luck.
Hi
The bike is only a double chainring, so there is no "middle" chainring.
In anycase, though, not had the chain taken off and replaced.

Will undo the cable sometime... this problem is doing my head in.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Maz I've helped out a few freinds with similiar issues. My process would be to:
1. remove the chain
2. Undo the cable anchor bolt using a 5 mm Allen key. Once this has happened the mech should swing in towards the frame. Test the mech for its full range of movement by moving it manually if this doesn't happen then I would clean the mech as well as I could, then give it a good lube. I would keep playing with it until I had full movement. One thing I wouldn't do at this stage is touch the limit screws.
3 once your happy the mech is swinging properly then check the front gear changer is set to the inner ring, then grabbing the cable firmly reattach it to the mech and tighten the anchor bolt.
4 reattach the chain.
5 now the hard bit! You should now have the use of both rings, however the change may be a little rough, so you need to adjust either the cable tension or the limit screws.
I still refer to the bicycle tutor website mentioned earlier or the excellent Park Tools website which has a fantastic repair help section.

If your mech is moving through it's full range of movement when you move it by hand, but not with the cable properly attached then maybe think about a new cable.

Good luck!

Edited to add link

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
That's it - I give in. I know when I'm beaten.
I'm sure this is a straightforward fix if you know WTF you're doing. Unfortunately, I don't fit into that category.

dnoaic.jpg

2820w87.jpg

I've had the chain off/cable off/cleaned/lubed, and diddly-squat difference.

Tinkered with the adjustment screws (roughly back in original position now) but still no luck.

Trip to LBS coming up!...

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
chriswoody's advice looks good to me. When the lever is set for the small front gear does the cable go slack ie no tension at all - if so see if you can manually push the cage on the front mech so it changes to the small front cog. That'd indicate its the mech that needs lubing if you can do this - like I say sora mechs did this to me every winter - not sure how much better Tiagra are

I've had Campag front mechs get sluggish with bad weather back in the '80s. My modern shimano are not much better. Don't get me started on motorbike front calipers in winter.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Maz don't give up! I know it can be frustrating but you'll be chuffed when it works.

Looking at your top photo with the cable removed it looks like the mech has swung in, is this far enough to have moved the chain onto this ring? If not check under the mech and see if one of the limit screws is touching the arm of the mech. If so turn it so that the mech swings in, if not then the mech is sticking and needs freeing up.

My dad also taught me to methodically go through each part/stage and eliminate things as you go. If you've isolated the mech from the cable then you can work out wether it's the mech or the cable that's giving you the grief.

If it's the mech then clean and fiddle as advised, if it's the cable, then replace it.

Go on give it one last try you know you want to! And do read the park tools instructions as well as bile tutor.

Good luck

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
When the lever is set for the small front gear does the cable go slack ie no tension at all...
Yes, the cable goes slack.

...if so see if you can manually push the cage on the front mech so it changes to the small front cog. That'd indicate its the mech that needs lubing if you can do this - like I say sora mechs did this to me every winter - not sure how much better Tiagra are
Tried to push it manually. Won't push across far enough to transfer the chain to the small chainring.
I have lubed the mech. I dont have any lube specific to lubing front mechs (if such a thing exists), I have been using some silicon-based chain lube.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
could well be a limit screw - maybe someone had a play when you weren't looking. It will need turning out - can't remember which one though I usually determine this by setting the lever so the mech goes to the high (or low) position, tweakling the screw and the one offering some resistance one way is the one to adjust the chainring you're on (hope this makes sense) - again I refer you to

http://bicycletutor....front-derailer/

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

good luck

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Got it sorted!

Had a good, close look under good light to see which way the derailleur was moving when each of the limit screws was rotated.

Thanks for everyone's help (and words of encouragement).

Saved me a trip to the LBS, time and money!!! :biggrin:

I even cleaned the frame up a bit, too, for the close-up shot.

1j2635.jpg

Top Bottom