Front Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Hi all,
Posting in "Beginners" again as you never feel quite so bad when you post a stupid question ! :laugh:
I need a new derailleur , this one was damaged quite a while ago but I have just put up with it , until yesterday when I tried to adjust my gears (with the help of my neighbour as I am hopeless) and one of the adjustment screws simply doesn't work anymore. I can use 11 of the 18 gears I have got , without some chain rub on the derailleur, so its not the end of the world and easily rideable.
Currently have the original Microsoft R42 2 speed on my Boardman Hybrid Comp and was wondering what a pretty much like for like one would be that Halfords sell? Just been on their site and I can't see they sell Microsoft ones and I want to order from Halfords as I get free fitting there and they are really handy for me. Prices range from a tenner to about £430 :wacko:
Cheers

Nibor

Bewildered
The shimano sora one would be about the same quality they will be able to secify the correct type band on or braze on etc if they are fitting it for you.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think you mean Microshift not Microsoft? Can't help with half-odds, though.

By the way, if the front derailleur has been knocked cockeyed rather than bent, that would exhibit some of the symptoms you described and could be fixed by repositioning it, which should be cheaper than replacement. Photos may either get someone posting that they know how to fix it, or at least confirmation that it's dead.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Thanks Nibor :smile:

I do indeed mean Microshift mjray! :laugh: . Basically when you adjust the screw the "spring" it pushes on is knackered . The neighbours pretty handy and he reckons I need a new one. I was convinced of this months ago when I damaged it while changing gear going up a hill at the same time as I caught the chain with my heal. Its like the chain "doubled up" and jammed in the mech and its not been the same since.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

The shimano sora one would be about the same quality they will be able to secify the correct type band on or braze on etc if they are fitting it for you.
I have e mailed Halfords basically asking them to confirm that the Shimano Sora will fit my bike, its a web exclusive so I need to know its going to be fit for purpose before I turn up for it to be fitted to be told it can't be !
I did call the shop direct but the young lad I spoke to didn't seem to sure at all and I couldn't get hold of one of the two "knowledgeable" ones there I have spoken to in the past ........

GuyBoden

Guru
Change the adjustment screw/bolt to a new one.

Take the old one to a hardware or engineering workshop and get another screw/bolt with the same thread.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

The screw is fine , its the bit that its supposed to screw against to adjust the derailleur that's basically snapped/broken off :sad:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Right then , a photo to show whats happened and confirm I need a new derailleur...
You can see the bottom of the screw fully screwed through in the middle of the photo. Its not touching anything and just below you can see some 'shiny' metal where its snapped off.

Attachments

• 20160512_075217.jpg
    20160512_075217.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

I have got this totally wrong haven't I !? :sad: The bottom of that screw shouldn't come into contact with anything visible should it ? The actual adjustment takes place within the casing. Sorry to keep going on about this , I should just take it into the shop and ask really !

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Cheers Leaway . Believe it or not I have had a look :laugh: . I think it may be the thread gone on the screw

Tim Hall

I have got this totally wrong haven't I !? :sad: The bottom of that screw shouldn't come into contact with anything visible should it ? The actual adjustment takes place within the casing. Sorry to keep going on about this , I should just take it into the shop and ask really !
When the derailleur is at one extent or the other, the screw hits the metal that's got the shiny mark on it. There's two screws, one for the lower limit, one for the upper.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Thats strange though as that screw bottom you can see is tightened as far as it will go and its not even close to that silver patch. Its directly above that mark too.
I must be boring the hell out of people with this now :laugh:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Just a quick update.
Went into Halfords and left it with them they called to say it didn't need a new derailleur so once again I am proven to be an idiot........:laugh:
Anyway they cleaned the drivechain and everything up and tuned the gears and its as good as new and sparkling for £14 so can't complain.......
Have a good weekend all

Top Bottom