Front Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingwill

Hi

I recently purchased a new road bike and everything was fine but I've recently started to notice a little chain rub noise from the front derailleur.

On the cheap old bikes I used to have I never worried about a slight chain rub noise.

My question is about whether it is normal to get a little chain rub noise on the front derailleur when you are on the large chainring at the front and the smaller cogs on the rear or should you expect none at anytime?

It's not grinding away but there is a little rubbing noise.

Any advice appreciated.

There should be no chain-rub at all in any of the legal gears.

Sounds like your bike is suffering from 'a bit of newness' and simply needs the cable pulling through.

Most good shops will do a service after a month or so for precisely that reason - brake & gear cables tend to settle in and just need a tweak as possibly do the spokes.

MikeMc

Über Member
The cable has stretched and lenghthened therefore it needs to be shortened i.e. pulled through the fixing bolt. To do this the front derailleur is put into the smaller ring, the bolt that the cable is attached to is loosened and the cable is pulled through to remove any slack, the bolt is then retightened.

potsy

Rambler
Not a Shimano brand shifter is it? Mine has a 'trim' feature which allows you to move the mech a little further to avoid this.

Top Bottom