Front derailur not moving enough!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L14M

Über Member
Hi people,
I've been setting up my front derailur and the rear is fine, the front just doesn't move enough to enough go to both extremes without rubbing and I can't for the life of me get it to be perfect! Any ideas?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hi people,
I've been setting up my front derailur and the rear is fine, the front just doesn't move enough to enough go to both extremes without rubbing and I can't for the life of me get it to be perfect! Any ideas?

There are at least two distinct possibilities.

The simple/easy one is your limit screws (marked L and H on the front mech) need to be rotated anticlockwise to give it more range. This is an excellent guide on how to set front mech up perfectly if you follow it step by step and have the correct working parts..

The other possibility is you have a Shimano/sram road front shifter and a mtb or Campag front mech. Such shifters don't pull enough cable for those mechs.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Does your FD have a trim feature (for example if you have shifted to the large front chainring can you then make another push on the front dérailleur lever to move the FD a small amount)? Also most FDs will rub on the chain when for example on the small front chainring you change up to a high gear (small cog) or if you are on the large front chainring you change down to the larger cogs on the rear cassette. This is normal and called cross chaining and it is not recommended to use these extremes of front chainring/rear cassette combinations as it causes higher drivechain wear.

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
My fd and RD don't have trim, it moves far enough just doesnt give enough throw!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a problem getting the front mech not to rub when I used the big ring, and I had to 'overshift' to get the chain to change up in the first place. The endstops were set up properly. The problem was that the cable was too loose. It works perfectly now that I have taken up the slack.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Does it all need a jolly good clean? My FD stopped dropping back to small rings and felt like I was going to snap the lever when shifting up- turned out it was all gunked up having being neglected from my cleaning regime!

Shaun

Founder
rip_hammer[1].jpg
?

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Should i go at it like a wrecking ball?

Well i've screwed up one of the screws, its almost rounded, what size are these? Seem to be m3 but im not sure how long as i haven't removed it.
This is on my almost brand new Carrera Zelos from halfords with about 110 miles on it, The cables have stretched so I adjusted it but then had this problem!
I can eliminate:
Cables are pretty much new, and have been coated in muc off frame and component protector,
I can eliminate the road front and mtb rear.
Leaving it to be only the L and H screws needing to be adjusted. I have to admit the gearing does seem quite low on the small cog though i've only tested it on some short 4 - 6% climbs.

Regards

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The secret of adjusting limit screws in your situation, is to adjust the L screw when you are on the large ring, and H screw when you are on the small ring - that way the screws when being adjusted are not under pressure which can be significant from cable tension. It takes a couple of iterations (since you can't see the effect immediately), but it saves the heads of the limit screw, given sometime they are made of cheese... Having the correct sized, type and quality of screwdriver helps also.

You might be able to file a slot in the screw's head to fit a small flat blade screwdriver.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Should i go at it like a wrecking ball?
Miley-Cyrus-Wrecking-Ball-010.jpg

Hey, just do whatever floats your boat! :laugh: What occurs in your workshop between your bike and yourself stays in the workshop.

Seriously, though, I've only adjusted my derailleurs a few times so far, so I'm still trying to get better at it. Having a decent work stand helps with that.

Top Bottom