Front disc suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
So, I think I'm going to go for BB7s.

Next question -what size rotors?

That's easy.

I'll say 185mm, everyone else will say 160.

So, 160mm.

GrasB

Veteran
GregCollins said:
GrasB out of genuine interest where would you put V-, and other rim, brakes on that continuum?
In terms of performance the best V & calliper setups I've used are cable limited for feel/response so comparable with the Avid BB5. However the Avid BB5s were basically maintenance free where as the rim brakes needed constant TLC.

I'm with Panter, 185mm is about right (I've been using 183mm with 28 through 35mm tyres without any issues) & you can scrub off speed in a hurry when needed but it's not overly easy to overpower the tyre.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So, I think I'm going to go for BB7s.

Next question -what size rotors?

How much mass are we trying to stop.....?

What size tyres will we be running......?

What sort of riding will we be doing......?

What forks does she have and what are they designed to take? (if sus won't be a problem but if rigid you need to know)

I'm a big heavy boy and run a 2.4 tyre up front so I'm itching to upgrade to a 185mm rotor in place of the 160mm oem (Avid Elixir R Carbon as it happens)

Can you buy MTB BB7's with different sized rotors as a package of caliper/rotor. When I got my Road BB7's if I had wanted other than the stock package I would have had to buy the rotor as an expensive extra...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If it were me, and I have more money than sense I'll admit, I'd start 160mm and then swap if I needed to. It is possible to be overbraked and if she, the bike, is mixed use, rigid front end, and you don't need to stop her from freefall 160mm should be adequate. YMMV

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
yes. but I got lucky and it didn't get stopped for VAT and import duty. or fall foul of the parcelforce handling fee extortion racket.

GrasB

Veteran
The only thing I've found with 160mm discs on road is that if you're trying to stop from higher speeds quickly the smaller rotor I was having to pull hard enough that dexterity was a problem where with the 185mm discs was fine, oddly this means I'm less likely to lock the wheel with a 185mm front than a 160mm.

Top Bottom