Front disc suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
A good cable is better than a bad hydraulic brake so the question is how much are you looking to spend on the brake?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
good hydraulics are better than good cable brakes but you pays yer money. You have to figure the overall value equation. Is the frame worth upgrading to new brakes and wheels or is the money better put towards a new bike?

If the same frame is used in higher spec models in the makers range then it is a fair bet it may be worth doing but shop around to get best prices. last years new old stock can offer good value.

Cable or hydraulic I'm a bit of an Avid fan - boob boom.

ACW

Hi I have Avid bb7 cable brakes on my bike, plenty of power and no adjustments or maintenance required in 1500 road miles. :becool:

Get the Avid bb7 rather than the bb5, easier to adjust and set up.

Got some gt85 on the rear disk last night and couldent lock the rear wheel this morning. so looks like I will have to do some maintenance now :smile:;)!:smile:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
The thing with hydraulics, or certainly the Avids, anyway, is that they really are fit and forget.
They never need adjusting, they just work.
It doesn't matter what surface I'm on whether it's road (rarely,) rocky mountain track or deep, sticky mud I always get exactly the same smooth, effortless power with no hassle whatsoever.

I only appreciate how good they are when riding buddies complain about theirs, or have to stop and adjust a cable halfway around a ride.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
ACW said:
Hi I have Avid bb7 cable brakes on my bike, plenty of power and no adjustments or maintenance required in 1500 road miles. :wacko:

Get the Avid bb7 rather than the bb5, easier to adjust and set up.

Sound advice I upgraded my road bike from Avid BB5 to BB7.

Panter - Only once had to stop to adjust these brakes in the middle of a ride - the ride was 300km so maybe that's an acceptable service interval?:tongue:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
GregCollins said:
Sound advice I upgraded my road bike from Avid BB5 to BB7.

Panter - Only once had to stop to adjust these brakes in the middle of a ride - the ride was 300km so maybe that's an acceptable service interval?:tongue:

Sorry, don't get me wrong, I am only giving my experience as a MTB rider.
I have no experience of disk brakes on a road bike whatsoever.

Armegatron

ACW said:
Got some gt85 on the rear disk last night and couldent lock the rear wheel this morning. so looks like I will have to do some maintenance now :tongue::ohmy:!:smile:

I fear I may have done this to mine - what maintainance is required to rectify it?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bin the pads, clean the rotor with alcohol or brake cleaner, replace the pads. You may just about get away with using a brake cleaner and some abrasive to get rid of the WD40 but will you ever be able to trust them again?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Panter said:
Sorry, don't get me wrong, I am only giving my experience as a MTB rider.
I have no experience of disk brakes on a road bike whatsoever.

I can well imagine they wear a lot faster off road :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
mike.pembo said:
I fear I may have done this to mine - what maintainance is required to rectify it?

I once did it - I think I must have used a cloth with a small amount of oil on it... the sensation of literally no brakes was very weird. I cleaned it with a disk brake cleaner, and then cycled around with the brakes lightly held on for a quite some time. Those pads were never as good again but I had only just replaced them a week earlier.

GrasB

Veteran
GregCollins said:
good hydraulics are better than good cable brakes but you pays yer money.
I completely agree as my experience is... £125 hydraulic callipers (Hope X2) > £55 mechanical callipers (Avid BB 5) > £50 hydraulic callipers (Clarks S2) > cheap mechanical callipers (came with the bike & no branding on them).

Top Bottom