Front end steering trouble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kristol75

I have two bikes...
One of them I can walk hajj holding just the seat to guide the bike along...I can lean it against a tree....a wall....anything and it will not turn the front wheel and fall.....my other bike it the opposite..the front fork just does turn and cause the bike to be always causing me trouble...is there anyway that this can be adjusted?
I'm not sure what to call it...maybe steering column? Is it even possible to get the handlebars and forks to stay in line with the bicycle? I keep bandana with me riding this bicycle because when I park the bike...I have to tie the ban bandana through the wheel to the frame to keep the front tire from turning...it's very frustrating..please can anyone help??

No, it cannot be adjusted. It has to do with the angle of the steerer/head tube on the frame and the offset from that axis by the line from the hub, parallel to the steerer.

The bandana plan is the best but make sure it is a confederate flag bandana.

It is what it is, which is irritating.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The bike without much of a self-steer effect has "quick" steering. This is caused by a steeper head angle and/or more fork offset. It makes dodging potholes easier but the bike may not be possible to ride hands-off. You can ride most things and a lot of it comes down to personal preference, though road racing bikes should have very similar steering (e.g. 74 head and 43mm offset) to ensure a peloton corners together. Tandems and tourers often have fairly quick steering because a self-steer effect is most undesirable with these bikes.

To slow the steering down, you'd need to change the fork for one with less offset.

tiredtyre

I have two bikes...
One of them I can walk hajj holding just the seat to guide the bike along...I can lean it against a tree....a wall....anything and it will not turn the front wheel and fall.....my other bike it the opposite..the front fork just does turn and cause the bike to be always causing me trouble...is there anyway that this can be adjusted?
I'm not sure what to call it...maybe steering column? Is it even possible to get the handlebars and forks to stay in line with the bicycle? I keep bandana with me riding this bicycle because when I park the bike...I have to tie the ban bandana through the wheel to the frame to keep the front tire from turning...it's very frustrating..please can anyone help??
Try an Elastomer steering damper, Hollandbikeshop.com have lots of different types.

Top Bottom