Front fork for 1974 green Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

msilk

I unfortunately bent the front fork of my bike avoiding a couple of pedestrians. I am told that it cannot be bent back into shape without losing structural integrity. I am not sure how to measure and source a replacement fork. I am also not sure if the fork is Reynolds 531 like the frame of the bike. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 31

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No other damage ?
Check underside of tubes for crinkles
The Reynolds sticker on the frame should say if fork is 531 .
If you measure from the lowest point on the bottom headset bearing to halfway of the lock nut will give you a very close measurement or just drop the fork out and measure .

cheys03

Veteran
Same thing happened to my similar era Dawes Galaxy forks. Our bikes are probably only a year or two apart.
It was a great shame but gave the opportunity to replace the forks with ones which fit 700c wheels with cantilever studs rather than 27” and callipers.
I had studs brazed on the rear for 700c too - sadly the gorgeous green paint was burnt off a bit but the frame builder did an excellent job and kept the paint damage to a minimum, about 60mm on each stay.
The replacement forks were cheap from Roseversand (15 years ago!). Sadly Roseversand don’t ship to the UK at present but they’re similar to https://www.rosebikes.com/keine-marke-28700c-1-atb-touring-fork-30485?product_shape=black.

For me the bike was worth saving and improving. As already suggested above, the simplest and cheapest fix will be suitable new or second hand replacements from eBay in a colour you can live with.

OP
OP
M

msilk

No other damage ?
Check underside of tubes for crinkles
The Reynolds sticker on the frame should say if fork is 531 .
If you measure from the lowest point on the bottom headset bearing to halfway of the lock nut will give you a very close measurement or just drop the fork out and measure .
The handlebars got bent and had to be replaced. The front fork has a slight bend to the right which keeps the old odometer from engaging properly. My repair guy said the bike is too old for him to find parts therefore I am hoping to show up with the part already in hand. Another repair person said its time to replace the bike but it has too much sentimental value to me and I would prefer to keep it running. Thanks.

OP
OP
M

msilk

Same thing happened to my similar era Dawes Galaxy forks. Our bikes are probably only a year or two apart.
It was a great shame but gave the opportunity to replace the forks with ones which fit 700c wheels with cantilever studs rather than 27” and callipers.
I had studs brazed on the rear for 700c too - sadly the gorgeous green paint was burnt off a bit but the frame builder did an excellent job and kept the paint damage to a minimum, about 60mm on each stay.
The replacement forks were cheap from Roseversand (15 years ago!). Sadly Roseversand don’t ship to the UK at present but they’re similar to https://www.rosebikes.com/keine-marke-28700c-1-atb-touring-fork-30485?product_shape=black.

For me the bike was worth saving and improving. As already suggested above, the simplest and cheapest fix will be suitable new or second hand replacements from eBay in a colour you can live with.
Great opportunity to swap out that rusty fork. I’m sure someone on here will have a suitable replacement if you ask nicely. If not plenty on the EvilBay from £20-50.
Thanks for your input.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Offset, as well as axle-crown distance and steerer length, should match. Touring bikes have more offset than racing bikes, to compensate for the slacker head angle. The offset on a Galaxy is probably nearer 50mm than 40mm.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The handlebars got bent and had to be replaced. The front fork has a slight bend to the right which keeps the old odometer from engaging properly. My repair guy said the bike is too old for him to find parts therefore I am hoping to show up with the part already in hand. Another repair person said its time to replace the bike but it has too much sentimental value to me and I would prefer to keep it running. Thanks.

A second hand fork or complete donor bike should be easily found

You could look on eBay for a replacement . If you went for one with a longer steerer it could always be cut down to suit your frame .
How is the wheel ?

Top Bottom