Front Forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
I currently use my mountain bike for commuting to work every day and was wondering if there is any merit in replacing my front forks (with suspension) for some without suspension. I do not use the bike for any true off roading so will not be losing anything by changing.

These are my current forks:

Fork:SR Suntour XCT-V2 80mm travel, Pre-load, Internal spring, Alloy Crown, Alloy lower with STKM Stanchions. With spring seal design
Can ayone recommend an appropriate replacement set of rigid forks?

Big John

Guru
I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke - don't fix it". If the forks aren't presenting you with a problem then why change them? I hear what you say about not losing anything by changing but what would you really gain?

bonj2

you might change the geometry - it will probably be leant forward slightly more if anything, depending on the travel of your current forks and the size of whatever ones you get.

if you notice them bouncing and thus sapping energy when standing up and honking up a hill and they haven't got lockout, or they aren't in the best of repair, then you might as well, but otherwise, not much point.

e-rider

crappy member
yes, change them to rigid and you will not look back.

Limited choice for 80mm corrected but 'Salsa' make a great steel 425mm Axle to Crown length fork (80mm corrected) They come in Black with V-brake and disc brake mounts and a 1 1/8" steerer which is a decent length - cost about £65

PS. as long as you get the correct axle to crown length it will not change the geometry (425mm should do it) - obviously, with sus the geometry constantly changes anyway as you go over bumps - rigid forks will give you an average of these positions all the time.

PPS. Even though you have 80mm forks your frame could have been made for either 63-80mm forks or 80-100mm forks - something to consider. 425mm axle to crown forks would suit 63-80mm frame corrected geometries better IMO. If your frame was made for 80-100mm sus forks then consider a rigid fork with an A-to-C of 440-445mm.

Top Bottom