Front Hub and Rear hub issues ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

I hope all is well with everyone,

had some new wheels built following an accident with a car a couple of months back and ive noticed a few things which are bothering me.

The front wheel and the QR is tight doesnt spin aswell as the back, with thr QR loose it spins and spins can I assume the cones are a little too tight ?. Do I need to adjust them its not majorly grabbing is noise free and feel smooth but just doesnt spin aswell as it should.

The rear hub makes a very faint sort or rubbing sound when I spin it slowly its really weird. It feels fine and the cones seem to be adjusted spot on but cant work out what the sound is. Its not the sort of gritty sound you get whe hubs need servicing and this has only done about 100 miles so far if that ?.

Many Thanks

bb

potsy

Rambler
Ahhhhhhhhhh I spent too long servicing my rear hub yesterday,don't even want to look at it now for a good while.
With help from some very nice CC'ers managed to get it spot on now-good luck.

Have you tried loosening the QR just a smidgen?

Thats often the case, put a bit of silicone lube on the dust seal , should be right then.
There should be just the merest hint of play in the hubs when adjusted properly which gets taken out when the QR is tightened up. Prevents undue pressure on the bearings and cone surfaces

Berlinbybike

You can't add play to sealed bearings can you, or are some now offered with angular contact bearings (which would allow this)? I had some sealed bearing Hope hubs once which were rubbish, for a multitude of reasons, one of which being that they were not adjustable and behaved just as the poster's hubs....

Top Bottom