Front Light - Fenix Torches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since I currently work a couple of late shifts but wanted to commute on my bike (down unlit canal towpaths) I was looking at front light options. After lookingt in various bike shops I was alarmed at the cost of the better quality LED lamps and the build quality, one popular manufacturer who shall remain anonymous (but who are named after part of a feline's anatomy) seemed to be charging extortionate amounts for units that were made of what I would call 'not the best' plastics and not even cutting edge LED technology. So I went online and after much deliberation and research eventually bought one of these for the same price. Paid by PayPal, delivered the very next day and the build and quality and performance are just phenomenal, way better value I would say. Tried mine out tonight and was made up with it, possibly even good enough for full off road use, very, very bright indeed.

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_l2d_q5.html

ps I know this is only my second post but I do not work for these guys in any capacity.......... I work in Probation.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Can't disagree with that. they are very good lights. The MTB fraternity have been using them for ages

I have the P2D as my front light. Dunno how they get so much light from such a teeny thing.
As discussed here before (do a forum search) the Tesco AA LED are pretty good for the price too

D4VOW

I have the TK10. After using and breaking various cycle specific front light's I will never use 1 again. A torch is cheaper, brighter and far better made.

Piemaster said:
I have the P2D as my front light. Dunno how they get so much light from such a teeny thing.
As discussed here before (do a forum search) the Tesco AA LED are pretty good for the price too

How do the tesco and P2D compare? Has anyone done a test on how many lumens the tesco torch puts out?

semislickstick said:
How do the tesco and P2D compare? Has anyone done a test on how many lumens the tesco torch puts out?

Ahem. Not great vid admittedly but should give you some idea.
Actually seems a bit odd discussing lights as length of daylight is still increasing, usually happens on the other side of summer!

Piemaster said:
Ahem. Not great vid admittedly but should give you some idea.
Actually seems a bit odd discussing lights as length of daylight is still increasing, usually happens on the other side of summer!

Thanks, that's not bad, seems very close on brightness.
Still cycling home at 10pm - 1am So I still need them! :-)

D4VOW

Ben M said:
what sort of gaffer-tape mounting solution do you use?

If you click on the OP's link you will see a section for bike mounts :ohmy:

yellowhammer

I use a Fenix L2D http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/fenix/fenix-l2d.html and a Nitecore D20 together; http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/nitecore/nitecore-d20.html The Nitecore is bigger than the Fenix with the same output, but it sits in a lock block a little neater and the output can be adjusted to any level you like, rather than having to use the levels that are programmed into the Fenix. I'd use two D20s except I like the strobe function on the Fenix. Oh, and I run them both on Eneloops, for cheapness. :biggrin: I took the Velcro bar strap off of the lock blocks and cable-tied the buggers on as they used to move. Not any more!

Sticking with the Nitecores, I also use the D10 as a helmet light; http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/nitecore/nitecore-d10.html The R2 model is very good, I have one on me all the time.

I can take some pics of everything if anyone's interested. I can also heartily recommend Flashaholics as a dealer. No connection, blah blah.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
semislickstick said:
When I compared a Tesco with a Fenix L2D, the centre of the beam was about the same brightness, but the Fenix had a wider beam, and the spill outside the main beam was quite a lot brighter too. I reckoned that the Fenix was putting about twice the light out the front.

Note that the L2D, P2D and L1D are all the same torch, just with different battery compartments. The Photon Shop sells the spare bodies at about £15 a go.

I got a single AA body as part of a pack when I bought the P2D. Handy to carry as a backup power source if the CR123 rechargeable I use goes flat as it just turns off and gives no real warning it is going flat.

Top Bottom