Front light for helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Finally picked up the RedEye Micro today. Wow!!! Seriously bright light, I did about 10 miles with the Joystick and Micro in a headstrap (rather than the helmet mount) and it's flipping good, if such things can be measured by the room I was given by overtaking cars.

And, when I say seriously bright, that's just seriously bright. There's no "for something so small" proviso on there. I've just tried it against the Smart 1/2W rear and it looks (I didn't take my light meter to check it!) brighter by a factor of 3 than the Smart.

Fantastic, it makes the Joystick the head light to choose, IMO.

Randochap

Senior hunter
HJ said:
If wearing a light on the head when cycling on the road, it is important to have on the bike as well.

+1 Main lights should always be mounted on the bike. It's the law in some jurisdictions. A helmet light is handy for reading street signs, computers, maps, etc. as well as "signalling" motorists.

As some of you know, I'm partial to generator lighting that eliminates the need to worry about charging/replacing batteries.

scouserinlondon

I've just ordered a second Dealextreme $12 torch to mount on the bike and the fenix L2D is going on my helmet.

I know this sounds ridiculous and vain but having two different types of front light lashed to my bike does my head in, I'm clearly a bit OCD about symmetry or something.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
redjedi said:
They had the version down from the Joystick in Evans yesterday, and I gave it a quick look :eek: I can still see the white flash when I blink :tongue:

If that was the Spark, I wouldn't recommend it. CR123 batteries would be an expensive pain, and the optional rechargables only last half as long.
If you are willing to use them there are cheaper options available which are at least as good (eg Fenix P3D, TK11)

redjedi

Über Member
andrew_s said:
If that was the Spark, I wouldn't recommend it. CR123 batteries would be an expensive pain, and the optional rechargables only last half as long.
If you are willing to use them there are cheaper options available which are at least as good (eg Fenix P3D, TK11)

Not considering the Spark, just used it to see the quality of the light, as it shouldn't be far off the Joystick.

But my plans may be scuppered, after I was forced to get a light on Friday for the FNRttC. Couldn't afford the joystick this month, so got a Hope Vision 1. Very nice light, which for some reason comes with a helmet attachment. You would need to be Conan the Barbarian to wear this on your helmet :smile:

So come January, I may need to make a decision on either keeping the Hope or sell it and get the Joystick. Since I generally only use it once a month, the Hope may well do the job for a while.

Top Bottom