Front light for helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Exposure Joystick. With a RedEye Micro.

End of. :laugh:

Norm

At the back of Exposure lights, there's a power port (Smart Port Technology in Exposure-speak) which is the charging point but which can also be used to power other lights.

Exposure do the RedEye, a ruddy powerful rear light which draws it's power from the main light and which comes with either a long cable (for use bike-mounted) or a short cable (for use on helmet-mounted lights). The RedEye is very good but, arguably, a bit OTT for a lid-light.

The RedEye Micro is smaller and neater but still very visible, the perfect compromise (IMO) for a helmet-mounted light.

Norm

No prob. ;)

Having spent far too long (and far too much) with crap lights, I'm hoping to save others the effort and direct them straight to the expensive-but-worth-it stuff, because most will end up there anyway. :laugh:

I now have a lot of CatEyes in case of emergency. :sad:

There are other brands of decent lights, Hope and Ay-Ups spring to mind, but I don't have any personal experience of them.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If wearing a light on the head when cycling on the road, it is important to have on the bike as well. Most people looking for oncoming lights at night, do not look above handlebar hight for lights, and even if you have a bright light on your head, they might not see you until it is to late.

That said it is a useful place to carry a secondary light source...

redjedi

Über Member
Hi Norm

You could probably answer a question I have on the Joystick.

I am looking to get a new light in the new year and really liked the look of the Joystick. Then I saw the Redeye add-on and thought it would be good to replace the rear at the same time, then I saw the Piggyback batteries, which would be useful when I'm on a night ride.

But can you use both with the joystick or do you have to pick one or the other?

It looks as if you can only use one at a time, which is a shame.

What's the battery life like with the redeye attached?

Cheers

Norm

I don't have answers to the stamina question, as I haven't yet picked up a RedEye.

I do know that you cannot use both a RedEye and a Piggyback battery, which is a shame, although the Joystick on the medium setting will give 10 hours. The RedEye is apparently 1/3 the power of the white LED's and, on the Exposure Lights site, they say that a Joystick with RedEye will work for 2.15 hours on high or 6 hours on low.

redjedi

Über Member
Thanks Norm. I saw that just after I posted.

It's a pity you can't use the battery pack with the two lights, as that would make a great light system, which you could build up as you needed.

I'm not sure the RedEye and Joystick combo on their own would be great for me. Just for commuting would be ok, but on an all nighter I would need to carry back-ups and/or chargers.

Norm

redjedi said:
I'm not sure the RedEye and Joystick combo on their own would be great for me. Just for commuting would be ok, but on an all nighter I would need to carry back-ups and/or chargers.
Indeed, Joystick & RedEye and a 3-cell Piggyback would give you full power for close to 10 hours.

That said, however, on medium power, the Joystick and a RedEye Micro will give the same sort of burn time and that might give the light you are looking for. I've only used it on full power when riding, as I haven't been out for more than a few hours. When used as a torch, though, I've only ever needed it on the minimum power. I'll give it a try riding with it on medium and see how it is on the bike, and let you know later.

redjedi

Über Member
That would be great, thanks Norm.

If the medium setting is enough to see on dark country lanes, then it might work.

That said, I only do long night rides once a month, and then it's only the winter time where it really matters.

From what I can see though, the RedEye cable is fixed to it. That would mean un-winding the cable every time you left your bike somewhere.

Perhaps I'll just get the Joystick, and a good rear light.

Norm

redjedi said:
That would be great, thanks Norm.

If the medium setting is enough to see on dark country lanes, then it might work.

That said, I only do long night rides once a month, and then it's only the winter time where it really matters.

From what I can see though, the RedEye cable is fixed to it. That would mean un-winding the cable every time you left your bike somewhere.

Perhaps I'll just get the Joystick, and a good rear light.
Test done tonight on the MTB.

I had the main light on flash, as I do usually and the Joystick on the medium setting and I reckon that is just fine. It gave me good visibility for the ground I was going to cover in the next 5 or 6 seconds, probably 30-40 yards. I felt happy riding at around 17mph on an unlit single track road.

When I got off road, I turned both lights onto Maxx and it was like riding in daylight! Great fun and it felt like I was flying! Spooked a whole heck of a lot of pigeons too... I wonder if the handlebar mount can be used to attach it to a barrel. :smile:

The RedEye can come with short or long cables. The short one is used when you attach it to your lid, the longer one to run it along the frame. That is a down-side to it, though because, even though it is more convenient and lighter because you only have one power source, the cabling isn't as tidy.

That's why I'm contemplating the Micro rather than the RedEye, to use on the back of a Joystick worn on a headband. Assuming the courier turns up at my LBS this week, that is. :laugh:

redjedi

Über Member
Cheers Norm

I think I will go for a Joystick in the new year, and later add the Micro for added light.

They had the version down from the Joystick in Evans yesterday, and I gave it a quick look :biggrin: I can still see the white flash when I blink B)

Now I just need to consider a new rear light, although I've been happy with the Blackburn Mars 3.0, so not so urgent.

Top Bottom