Front light reccomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First off, a confession. I made a major cock-up buying front lights last year, as a result I have two, a Cateye HL-EL600RC and a Niteflux VisionStick Halogen 10. The first purchase was the Cateye, shortly followed by the Niteflux when I realised I couldn't see a damn thing! The Cateye may be the 'perfect suburban commuter solution', but it's bu66er-all good when riding along unlit roads. This is what you get for going along with recommendations from colleagues without taking into account that their commute is all on city roads.
So, as far as I am concerned I need 15 watts minimum, as 95% of my ride is unlit and some on very badly maintained carriageways. I also need a rapid re-charge as in the depths of winter when I am on morning shift I ride to and home from work in the dark, and despite manufacturers claims lights will need a re-charge after coming in in the morning.
So, anyone got any recommendations please? I'd prefer non-stratospheric prices but will pay if I have to get a well-made product.

kyuss

Veteran
The Fenix/Tesco torch fans will be along any second.:smile:

Personally I use this AyUp kit. Tiny little bombproof things with fantastic output, plenty light for 30mph on unlit roads. They'll blow a 30watt halogen set out of the water. And unless you're commuting 3 hours each way you won't need a rapid recharge, they come with a 6 hour battery the size of a deck of cards that really does last 6 hours (I've had over 6 and a half out of mine without any noticeable loss of light output), and will recharge from flat in about 2-3. Works out about £150 once you add import duty and VAT which isn't exactly cheap, but mine are entering their third winter now and I wouldn't be without them. Well worth it IMO.

Randochap

Senior hunter
kyuss said:
The Fenix/Tesco torch fans will be along any second.:smile:
:biggrin:

As I've tried to get across here more than once, if you ride unlit roads, you need some proper lighting. It doesn't come cheap, but probably cheaper in the long run than buying a load of second-rate lights that prove inadequate.

For safety sake, lighting is not the place to skimp.

And IMO, forget batteries. Get a dynohub and never have to faff with chargers and dead batteries again.

For comuting I use/d the Cateye EL530 and have recently bought the Hope #1. I like it. Randochap has the right idea though - I have seen many dynohubs etc this year and it is definitely the way to go for reliability or 'fit and forget'. Along with a Rolhoff back wheel...full mudguards...ah, dream on...:smile:

Oh - and I'll probably get some Ayups at some stage - plenty of folk like Kuyss above recommend them.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Rando, your link is terribly limited and particularly biased towards your likes. Dyno lights are NEVER going to be a popular choice for the everyday cyclist. How much would it cost for a decent Dyno light? Thats including the hub, wheelbuild, and the light itself?

The Hope Vision 1 is a good light for everyday cycling, and will get you seen and being able to see for £70. of you can go to dealextreme and buy one fo the many cheapish torch like lights for buttons and get a very bright light vor very little.
I use a variety of lights, form the Tesco torch up to a Hope Vision II, and tbh, the Tesco torch which cost me less than a tenner does the job i need it to on the road. Its very bright, rechargeable batteries, and can easily be removed. Its what i would buy again

Randochap

Senior hunter
Steve Austin said:
Rando, your link is terribly limited and particularly biased towards your likes. Dyno lights are NEVER going to be a popular choice for the everyday cyclist. How much would it cost for a decent Dyno light? Thats including the hub, wheelbuild, and the light itself?

Don't see how you see a page that discusses options for quality lighting as "terribly limited." It is biased towards lighting that actually works for safe night riding in all conditions and yes, my preference is for dynamo -- a preference shared by thousands of commuters and long-distance riders, because they have discovered how low-maintenance dynamo lighting is.

What problem do you feel is created by my passing that information along to more cyclists who are looking for good lighting?

I don't know about UK but dyno lights are very popular in NA, and European countries, especially Germany.

Decent kit can be had for £150-200. Top of the line will run around £300. That would include SON hub, high end rim, DB spokes and latest LED headlight.

bonj2

I personally would never use dynamo lights, as they must slow you down. I wouldn't want any of my pedalling energy being wasted creating electricity that can be created at home.

Has anyone got one of these? Busch & Müller The IXON IQ?

What are they like on country roads? I'm using the tesco torch but it might be nice to have a proper bike light with side visibility etc.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Browser said:
I also need a rapid re-charge as in the depths of winter when I am on morning shift I ride to and home from work in the dark, and despite manufacturers claims lights will need a re-charge after coming in in the morning.

I've been using Dinotte front and rear for a few years, before that some Smart rechargeables, some of my commute- most by some of my alternative routes- is unlit roads.

I got fed up with charging and battery issues in the end. Last winter I got a wheel built with a Shimano hub dynamo and got a B&M IQ Cyo, I'm also running a rear light from the hub. I back the rear up with a battery light or two. I'm happier, and it isn't a problem if I forget to put batteries on charge. It's a good setup for unlit roads (it's very bright). If I fancy taking the bike out late at night on a whim it's good to go, can't say I do that often tho' so it's a minor benefit.

I still use the Dinotte on other bikes (which I also sometimes commute on) but the regular commute bike has the hub setup.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For proper heresy- some guy over at YACF has converted a Tesco torch to work with a hub dynamo. Might see if I can find the post later.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Wobbly John, IIRC, for the Tesco Dynamo.
[edit] OK if you can machine screw threads on for attaching the switch section directly to the light head

Decent dynamo lighting will be about £105 for hub/wheel (Spa Cycles), and about £55 to £85 for an IQ Fly or Cyo (dotbike).

Everyone uses the same LEDs, so all the decent LED lights are of generally similar brightness - fenix torch, one head of an Ayup, Hope 1, Ixon IQ, Cyo etc

MichaelM

Guru
Given that you've got a Cateye which does the being seen bit, a visionstick which (I imagine) gives a decent pool of close range light, then I can't see anything wrong with adding a Tesco/Fenix on the head for a bit of throw.

Unless of course you're looking to get rid of the above and "start from scratch."

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
kyuss said:
The Fenix/Tesco torch fans will be along any second.:wacko:

Personally I use this AyUp kit. Tiny little bombproof things with fantastic output, plenty light for 30mph on unlit roads. They'll blow a 30watt halogen set out of the water. And unless you're commuting 3 hours each way you won't need a rapid recharge, they come with a 6 hour battery the size of a deck of cards that really does last 6 hours (I've had over 6 and a half out of mine without any noticeable loss of light output), and will recharge from flat in about 2-3. Works out about £150 once you add import duty and VAT which isn't exactly cheap, but mine are entering their third winter now and I wouldn't be without them. Well worth it IMO.

AyUp's are a good choice, there are a few other suggestions in this review, at the end of the day you can have any two of the following: cheap, bright, long battery life. But you can't get all three (no matter what the fantasies of the Fenix/Tesco torch fans are), such is life...

Top Bottom