Front light reccomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
bonj said:

+1. I've got four bikes, three of which I ride on unlit rural roads at night on a regular if infrequent basis. The Ayups transfer from bike to bike in seconds. Try doing that with a dynohub setup.

I had a dynohub set up before - it was fantastic and worked really well. But I only had one bike (& I've since sold that one)

Wooliferkins

Used my Ixon IQ all last winter commuting on unlit country roads they're excellent. I'm all for the dynamo option as well though and it's only that I have a perfectly serviceable front wheel that I haven't bought one for the geared commuter. No they don't slow you down, less than 3% drag on modern hub dynamos wouldn't be without it on the tourer and as soon as these rims wear out, I'm off to Paul Hewitt for another dynamo wheel.

MichaelM said:
Given that you've got a Cateye which does the being seen bit, a visionstick which (I imagine) gives a decent pool of close range light, then I can't see anything wrong with adding a Tesco/Fenix on the head for a bit of throw.

Unless of course you're looking to get rid of the above and "start from scratch."

I was kinda looking at reducing the Mod-like Vespa GS array of headlights I seem to have at present, together with less weight, fewer chargers etc, and a bit more light output. I tried looking at the Ayup website for technical info (lumens output etc) but it says that a new website is coming soon?
I will also consider replacing the existing 10W halogen headlight I have got in the Visionstick with one of their new 8W LED units, which will work off the existing battery, if I can find out it's lumens output compared to the halogen.
I have looked at dynohubs before but couldn't find one with the same light output as a battery system, plus which none of them seem to work through a battery and thuis give a decent 'stopped at junctions' facility, unless I'm wrong?

Randochap

Senior hunter
bonj said:
I personally would never use dynamo lights, as they must slow you down.

Except they don't.

Have you ridden a modern dynohub, or are you like someone who claims to hate a certain food you've never tried?

Believe me, long-distance riders aren't interested in being slowed down.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Browser said:
I have looked at dynohubs before but couldn't find one with the same light output as a battery system, plus which none of them seem to work through a battery and thuis give a decent 'stopped at junctions' facility, unless I'm wrong?

Wrong. All new LED headlights -- and tail lights for that matter -- have "standlight" function. Pair a dynohub with something like a Schmidt Edelux or Supernova E-3 and you'll find motorists treating you like another vehicle (ie. dimming their lights at distance). These are "real" lights. Ride with these and you'll wonder how you managed without.

Read my lighting page for update on dynamo lighting.

Randochap

Senior hunter
GregCollins said:
The Ayups transfer from bike to bike in seconds. Try doing that with a dynohub setup.

A valid downside.

I also have multiple bikes, but only use 3 at night. I leave headlights on 2 and switch wheels. Presently, use battery light on 3rd until I can afford to build wheel for that size (650b). Already have 2nd hub waiting.

I'm another one who has used a number of the Tesco lights in the past, and had run two connected in series. I'd sawn the barrels off and soldered in leads, to then either connect to an external battery pack or a dynamo. When running them off a dynamo, unfortunately they're not as bright as the original battery configuration.

The disadvantage of using a battery pack is of course the extra weight and the fact you've got to find some way of securing them in a waterproof way to the frame. By running 2 lights together, in order to get a decent run time I ended up having 3 sets of 5 x rechargeable AA batteries in parallel, which gave me about 4-5 hours of light. However, it did give a good spread of light.

Since getting my new bike, mainly for aesthetic reasons, but also as it would be slightly easier to change batteries, having looked at a number of alternatives, the best compromise on price, power output and flexibility was the Hope Vision 1, so I got 2 of these which give a similar spread of light to the Tesco lights, without having to resort to using full power.

The main advantage of the Hope lights compared to other high powered bike LED lights* are that they take AA batteries, and so if they run flat, you're not left carrying a heavy useless battery pack, as you can easily fit some new batteries.

You can get Hope's for less than £70, and they're an excellent piece of kit.

* Cateyes do not fall in this category as their output is much less.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Randochap said:
A valid downside.

I also have multiple bikes, but only use 3 at night. I leave headlights on 2 and switch wheels. Presently, use battery light on 3rd until I can afford to build wheel for that size (650b). Already have 2nd hub waiting.

that would be the proper way to do it.

But I must be honest, three of the four are MTB's and I'm not prepared to run a dynohub MTB front wheel (yet) :rolleyes:

kyuss

Veteran
Browser said:
I tried looking at the Ayup website for technical info (lumens output etc) but it says that a new website is coming soon?

320 lumens for the roadie kit with one head unit. I've not measured it, I just remember the figures from when I bought them.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
GregCollins said:
The Ayups transfer from bike to bike in seconds. Try doing that with a dynohub setup.

That's a considerable advantage with some rechargeable systems. My Dinottes will go on any of my bikes, including the TT bike (I'm hardly going to want a dynamo on that).

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Browser said:
...I tried looking at the Ayup website for technical info (lumens output etc) but it says that a new website is coming soon?

If you look at the review I suggested, you will find details and beam shots for the Ayup and other lights in the same class...

and guess which lights were the winners in that section... :wacko:

Plax

Guru
I've always hankered for a dynamo light for my Galaxy. I'm still working up to the idea. Is it the front wheel hub the dynamo goes on?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Plax said:
I've always hankered for a dynamo light for my Galaxy. I'm still working up to the idea. Is it the front wheel hub the dynamo goes on?

As I understand it, yes.

I fancy a setup like that too, although SBR didn't honour the recent £18 dynohub price (see bargains thread passim), so it's faded back to being a "when I next have the cash" sort of an idea for me.

Top Bottom