Front Light recommendations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The budget isn't massive, but I am after a better front light.

I've got a small cateye LED headlight, but it is fairly pants as soon as you get going, and barely lights an unlit road.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Cateye EL 530 single LED - about £40 - batteries last a long time (ten hours before any perceptible dimming) - suitable for night riding in the countryside - doesn't blow out in wet weather.

OP
OP
V

very-near

That looks like the ticket. What sort of batteries does it take, and is it worth spending the extra on lithium based ones ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Tesco 3 watt LED AA torch for less than £8 quid. Light up the road really well. I mount mine using a modified lock frame-holder, but cable tieing it, or using a piece of old inner tube works just as well.
DSC_0051-1.jpg

Wiggle do the front light suggested by dellzeqq as part of a kit - about £54 quid - to include a big beautiful rear light. The same kit is online at Evans Cycles for nigh on £80...so make sure you shop around very-near!

For commuting, I use a 530 / 1100 combination , with a Tesco torch on a custom wrapped (in black electrical tape) bracket. And a few other bits and bobs...which may help be seen.

Cking

I've got the Cateye EL-520 and swear by it. My ride is on un lit cycle ways and country lanes starting at 04:45 and it's good enough for that.
I do like the Tesco torch idea though!

Rgds Cking

bonj2

get an ayup light.
I had a Cateye EL530 and it was awful. Doesnt' hvae the right to be anything like as big and bulky as it is for the puny amount of light it gives out. Smart 5-LED ones are ok, but only a "be-seen" rather than a "see where you're going".

HelenD123

Guru
Cking said:
I've got the Cateye EL-520 and swear by it. My ride is on un lit cycle ways and country lanes starting at 04:45 and it's good enough for that.
I do like the Tesco torch idea though!

Rgds Cking

I have one of those and don't find it very good.

I've noticed that a lot of stores have re-stocked the 2xAA Tesco 3w torch at £8.

It's great as a front light and really stops traffic in their tracks when they're about to drive across your path, i.e. coming out of side roads or making a right turn from the opposite direction!

I've cable tied mine to one of these brackets (only cost £2.50p in my lbs btw)... so for £10.50p in total, can't be beaten imo!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was using 2 x Cateye 510's with a Tesco 3w - they are OK, bright enough to be seen with, and in that combination OK on dark lanes. A 530 is brighter..... But I've just splashed out on 2 x Hope Vision 1's ...good grief they are rather good, so they should be at the price - £80 each.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
just been looking around a bit and SpaCycles in Harrogate have the cateye EL530 for £37.00.

I have already got a lot of kit from them this month so can't afford a new light:wacko: but maybe you can!

Top Bottom