Front Lights to 'see' with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Regarding the tesco torches. I heard of one user attaching a maplin battery pack to his bike which takes about 10 big batteries. On this the torches last for about 4 hours. I've thought about giving this a go but it seems like quite a lot of effort. He even sawed the torches in half.

Would love to see someone write a little guide.

gordonrgw

hi,

i have 2 pairs of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingavon-BB-RT314-Touch-Torch-Battery/dp/B0012UPH00

mounted under the handlebars with re-purposed reflector mounts. If you mount them on the brackets correctly you can also manually 'dip' them for use in traffic, although i may add some shades to direct the light downwards more effectively.

don't know about output etc, but all 4 seem to work well enough on dark country roads/ wooded cycle paths. (so far, anyway..)

(cost of 2.99 each in TKMaxxxxxxxx, reflector brackets free..)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
lazyfatgit said:
Has anyone tried the underwater torch from Lidl? 4 LED, 6W, they're quoting 20hrs from 4xAA? Waterproof to 30M.
1 2500mAh AA battery contains 3 watt-hours (1.2V x 1A x 2.5h), 4 contain 12 watt-hours. If the torch actually ran at 6W, it would last 2 hours. If it's lasting 20h, the average power consumption would be 0.6W at best.
I'd guess that there's no regulation, and it starts off reasonably bright and gets dimmer fairly soon.

rusky

CC Addict
cheadle hulme said:
Come on then! Put a review up! I'm thinking about these instead of my current Fenix. Have you got any beam shots?

I'll see what I can do, could be tricky without a tripod

andrew_s

Legendary Member
smeg said:
I doubt very much that's as bright as it claims to be, the battery would be knackered very quickly otherwise.
The 900 lumens is the figure from SSC for the bare P7 LED maximum output, not a measured output from the torch.
It's fairly common to quote emitter maximum rather than actual output as measuring actual isn't simple. It's easy to spot who's doing it even when they confess by saying "manufacturer rating" or such - anyone claiming 900 out of a P7 or MC-E, or 250 out of a P5 or XR-E.

By the time you allow for driver circuit losses, reflector losses, reduced emitter efficiency due to getting hot etc, even Lupine only get 700 lumen out of the front of their P7 light (Tesla). A DX cheapo isn't going to be as good as that.

rusky

CC Addict
OK, both these were taken with the same settings, F2.8, 1 sec exposure, ISO 400.

The blue play house is approx 25m away.

Tesco 3w

tesco.jpg

Dealextreme

ssc.jpg

kyuss

Veteran
I have to say that looks pretty damn impressive. How long will it run on that output though?

EDIT: Looking at the link you posted previously it suggests 30-50 minutes. 30 minutes! I'd need to stop and change batteries about 3 times on my regular nightime training route. Batteries can't possibly be that cheap.

smeg

kyuss said:
I'd need to stop and change batteries about 3 times on my regular nightime training route. Batteries can't possibly be that cheap.
They're rechargeable though and cheap off ebay (from Hong Kong :blush:) it will also mean having to charge 3 of them if you needed to use that many in one go, so you'd might need more than one charger if charging one at a time because it will likely take too long. I bought a new charger for my CR123A's because the other one takes too long!

Top Bottom