Front Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I tend to ignore what drivers say & actually test these things in real life. Most of the time I come to the conclusion that it's not so much SMIDSY but SMIBLP (Sorry Mate I Didn't Bother Looking Properly). If it's the latter you've got a problem that's never going to be solved by brighter lights as you're relying on a split second of image & their brain to comprehend the correct answer. A small bright point source can easily be mistaken for a spotlight in the background etc.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hove Vision 1. Good enough for any road on any night. £under £80. I used a Cateye 530 for years, and those can be had for £30 (I've got two for sale). And, if that's too expensive, why not really go to town and get the 7Dayshop 3W Cree light for about a fiver?

If you're going off road, that's a different matter, but on road anything brighter than a Hope is fatuous

I almost agree with you Dell and, like you I also had a Cateye 530. BTW I now think Cateye have fallen well behind the game, complacency of a large company that at one time had few major rivals? Maybe.
I too run a Hope Vision 1 and 99% of my rides are on unlit roads. Where the Hope lets me down is when descending on a bendy lane, there just isn't enough beam width on the bends for me to be able to see the inside edges so while I am actually on the bend I can't see what's coming next. Maybe a bit picky and not the sort of riding everyone does, but going down hill at speed on a narrow lane on fixed you need an exceptional light, plus one that does not blind an oncoming vehicle. Of course, I could do what Fossy does and run 2 of them but then I don't like clutter on my bars.
To paulw I would say go for the Hope, good in nearly all situations, solidly built and reliable [but carry spare batteries]. Ribble now selling them for £64.

Jim Fraser

Regular
Hi folks,
i need your help/advice on some front lights as i am going round in circles trying to decide what to plumb for, i have read a few of the reviews on the forum.
I will be commuting early mornings and evenings on urban roads some of which are not particularly well lit. I also plan to get out on the bike during proper hours of darkness.
I have noticed quite a few cyclists round this area with totally inadequate lighting (quite a few ninja's as well), could the inadequate lighting seem that way because of the streetlinghts i wonder.
Backwards facing is not a problem I'm looking at getting two lunar rear lights in either 1/2 or 1 watt version, one for the seat post the other for my rucksack, sorted.

In regard to the front however I want to see by the lights (i'd rather see the next pothole coming) rather than just be seen. I'm looking at either something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluxient-...isure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item46000fd47f this has its own battery pack and is not reliant on the smaller sized batteries which will need charging more often, i also like the idea of a "proper" mount for the light rather than just O rings.
The alternative is to get a (or even two) flashlight types of light like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xtar-B01-...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item1c22748582, with a holster type fixing rather than o rings. These take the smaller type (single batteries) which i suspect will require charging more often.
The above links are for comparison, i suspect the Fluxient type might be harder to take off the bike and replace when parking up. I guess some might say the 1000 lumen version would be overkill for urban roads, and would need to be pointed downwards so as not to cause glare for oncoming traffic.

your thoughts would be appreciated, help me make my mind up:banghead:
I live in the depths of the Devon countryside and commute to work along unlit roads. I recently bought myself a Moon X Power 300, which I find brilliant for my situation. It has 5 setting which includes one flashing, on the top setting it produces 300 lumen of light and the battery, which is rechargable, lasts for around 2 hours. On lower settings it lasts a lot longer. The unit, with charger, costs around £54 from wiggle.com.

Hope this helps.

I will say I'm well aware there are better options out there than my 2 x Cree (plus batteries) for £30 but like I said at that time, in my wallet I had £30 and £30 only spare. That was the best I could get with what I had.

I'd like to upgrade to some of the options mentioned, but having used these lights for I reckon less than 150 miles for 8-10 hours max, I dont think I can justify spending more yet. Maybe next winter but thanks to all for the tips :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hove Vision 1. Good enough for any road on any night. £under £80. I used a Cateye 530 for years, and those can be had for £30 (I've got two for sale). And, if that's too expensive, why not really go to town and get the 7Dayshop 3W Cree light for about a fiver?

If you're going off road, that's a different matter, but on road anything brighter than a Hope is fatuous
Saw a hope 1 in action and TBH thought it was underpowered for unlit country lanes at full speed.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I suppose we're all different, but I've seen them do thousands of miles on a dozen or more bikes, and used mine all over the country.......

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
thanks for the tips folks, the posts made have made interesting reading, and i can see where you are all coming from in regards to what you need your lights to do in your circumstances.
My priority is to see where i'm going, so i'm going to go for the best output for the money, i guess also i am contemplating the being seen aspect a little more. I will angle the light downwards so as not to cause glare but ultimately i want to feel safe in the knowledge that i have done all i can to make myself visible to other road users. Still haven't made my mind up yet though :rolleyes:I will update you when i have ordered my choice.
And wiggydiggy.....if they work for you mate the price you paid was the right price:thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I suppose we're all different, but I've seen them do thousands of miles on a dozen or more bikes, and used mine all over the country.......
Yes we are all different and all i was saying was that i found them a bit wanting in comparison to what i normally run , if you find them ok then maybe i need to borrow your glasses :smile:

I got a Lezyne Minidrive at the weekend IMHO is more than adequate for unlit Berkshire roads with attendant potholes. Good spread for a small light.

Top Bottom