Front mech indexing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Hello,

I am having bother with my front mech rubbing on the chain when I am in the Top chain ring and the lower gears on rear cog. I can trim it by holding the Sti lever over manually. What I really need is another click so the front mech stays where I want it. Can the Sti be adjusted? If so how???

The shifters are combined brake lever type ones. Its a 7 speed with a triple crankset.

Thanks,

Colin

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I think you need to adjust the high limit screw and tighten the cable adjuster slightly.
The limit screw you need is that marked "H" on the front mech. Turn it anti-clockwise about half a turn. Then turn the cable adjuster anti-clockwise the same amount. Pound to a pinch of manure that will sort it.

don't adjust the hight adjuster,

the reason you can hold it in the correct place is because the hight adjuster is set correctly and your holding it against the hight adjuster limit thingy

what has most likely happened is the same as on my wife's bike, the cable has stretched as they all do and needs a slight adjustment

the easiest way i've found to do it is drop it into the lowest gear, slacken the bolt off, pull the cable through and tighten it again.

peanut

Its not the inner cables that stretch ,but rather the outer cable ends compress and seat into the nipples and cable bosses.
Sounds like you need to readjust from scratch

if the STi cables have been correctly set up then I believe STi should have a short additional click available as a front mech 'Trim' feature.

There is something about the trim feature at the bottom of the service/setup page here
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...001/SI_6C80D_001_En_v1_m56577569830621374.pdf

Top Bottom