Front mech maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Feel a bit silly about this, but the front mech on my Boardman CX has seized and a good coating of GT85 and a waggle is doing nothing, so it looks like I'm going to have to take it off and blast it clean then soak it in oil at the weekend.

It's been ridden in all weathers but I was still rather surprised as I clean my bike just about every weekend and finish with a good squirt of GT85 and then, most times, once the GT85 has dried, add a drop of oil to all 4 pivot points.

Where am I going wrong? Is it likely because I haven't also paid any attention to the spring at that back? Should I have been oiling this? Or greasing is maybe?

Cheers.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I have just ordered a new one funnily enough today. Halfords have got the Shimano 105 on sale at the moment. About £17 with BC discount and I get free fitting. Just a thought if yours is knackered and this one fits your bike?

festival

Über Member
Probably unlikely but have you checked the stop screws haven't been tampered with or a bit of grit has got stuck and wont allow the mech to move?
Is the cable moving correctly when the shifter is engaged?
Its unusual for the front mech to seize on all but the most badly maintained bikes!
Is it actually seized or is there any damage?

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I have just ordered a new one funnily enough today. Halfords have got the Shimano 105 on sale at the moment. About £17 with BC discount and I get free fitting. Just a thought if yours is knackered and this one fits your bike?

That's a good price, thanks for the heads-up. It's to go with a 10 speed, double chain ring so should suit. There's no issue mixing SRAM and. Shimano anyway is there, and surely not for just a front mech? How do you get free fitting?

Probably unlikely but have you checked the stop screws haven't been tampered with or a bit of grit has got stuck and wont allow the mech to move?
Is the cable moving correctly when the shifter is engaged?
Its unusual for the front mech to seize on all but the most badly maintained bikes!
Is it actually seized or is there any damage?

I thought it was unusual too. It's a cheap microshift job so not sure if that's part of the issue. The lever is still pulling cable when I disconnect the mech, I've tried adjusting the stop screws to no avail and I can't see any damage - not had any falls/bashes etc. I can move the mech by hand when I disconnect the cable but it takes a lot of force to shift it. Grit in the mech seems fairly likely given the weather recently and my continuing lack of mudguards.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I am a 9 speed double chain ring but the guy at Halfords fitted one last week on the same bike I and said it worked well.
I presume , as you do , mixing SRAM and Shimano won't be a problem but I am FAR from being an expert so I am sure someone on here will know.
I got a three year bike care plan for £40 (think its £50 now) which includes a silver service each year . Anything that you purchase from them they fit free of charge, including inner tubes which came in handy a couple of weeks ago when I injured my hand and had a slow puncture ! Just ordered on line and took the bike in to pick it up and they fitted it.
Used the Bilston branch a lot recently for one reason and another (including new wheels after I hit a car and badly buckled them!!) and find them very good . Have used the Perry Barr branch before and found them not to be as good

mynydd

Veteran
Ah.....
I had a similar problem a few weeks back with my commuting bike.
A weekend in an oil bath, as advised on this forum, sorted it out ^_^

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Ah.....
I had a similar problem a few weeks back with my commuting bike.
A weekend in an oil bath, as advised on this forum, sorted it out ^_^

What kind of oil did you use? Would vegetable oil be any good?! (we seem to have a surfeit!)

And in general to prevent this in future, is there anything else I can do? Would either oil or grease on the spring be advisable?

mynydd

Veteran
What kind of oil did you use? Would vegetable oil be any good?! (we seem to have a surfeit!)

And in general to prevent this in future, is there anything else I can do? Would either oil or grease on the spring be advisable?
I used some spare engine oil I had.... I don't think the mech will be too fussy...
I've been spraying gt85 on it after every wet ride, since.
So far, so good....

mynydd

Veteran
GT is pretty poor as both a protector and a penetrant. It's cheap though.

After every clean low to dry and spray with duck oil.

Yes, I agree. Good to get rid of water though. I should have added I put a few drops of oil on it every week or so too

Top Bottom