Front mech maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Well that's what I thought but Drago's not to keen on it. :sad:

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Well that's what I thought but Drago's not to keen on it. :sad:

I read his post as just pointing out that it's not the thing for deep lubrication, which I agree with. Too thin and easily washed off. Still has its uses though.

Oddly my front mech on my boardman seized last winter , still in the parts drawer but i really need to sling it.

Is yours also a microshift job?

Truth

Agreed mate. Sometimes its simply not worth the time and hassle, just get a new one :okay:
I wished I had the time to mess with the bike but with 4 and 12 year old daughters about I haven't ! I think my time is better spent with them :smile:

si_c

Guru
I'm thinking that for the sake of 17 quid I'll upgrade to the 105 mech anyway. I'll try to resurrect my microshift too, just for the learning experience.
105 mech is nice, easy to keep clean and maintained.

I've treated mine appallingly and it still runs perfectly. Just spray some wd40 on it to clean the muck off then a few drops of chain lube on the pivots and spring, then ignore for six months.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you can identify the pivot bolt, it's usually that that's siezed. Loosen,( not take out ) that bolt, apply oil or WD, manipulate to free it up then retighten that bolt.
Regular winter occurrence on my 8 speed Sora mech in the winter.

Truth

Perfectly good maintenance spray and general light lubricant - also works very well as a chain lube in the right conditions.
I spray it onto the rag I use to clean the chain when using the Mickle Method

Top Bottom