front mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

Hello,I'm at my wits end with the front mech on my racing bike. Its a new bike Giant scr3 triple sora ,only done 250 mile with it and theres all sorts of wierd clunks and grating noises coming from it had it into lbs who have set it up for me twice (watched them do it the 2nd time) but still the same tried everything bar taking the whole thing off and setting it up from scratch even found 2 of the chainring bolts loose but its made no difference,there is a low clunking noise on the down stroke of the right pedal could it possibly be the BB is slightly loose or is it the fact that the whole thing is just flexing under my weight while pedaling !!help please

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Hi jonnyboy. Welcome to the forum. Im sure there will be others along to help, but in the meantime have a read of this: http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

OP
OP
J

jonnyboy

Thanks Gerry Attrick cool site added it to my favs thinkin of takin the bike to a different shop, my local 1 doesnt seem that interested with it as I didnt buy it from them

e-rider

crappy member
There are certain gears that are likely to rub the chain on the front mech (you might know this already) such as using the small chainring and the small sprocket at the back together - using these gears must usually be avoided. Your LBS should know how to set it up as it's a basic task although there are many shops out there that struggle to even pump up a tyre!

Mr Pig

Hi, and welcome to the forum :0)

Front mechs can be a pig to set up. In my experience most shops just set them up so that they work and ignore slight rubbing, although to be fair it can be very, very hard to avoid it. Your best bet is to play about with it yourself.

Generally you want to set the mech very close to the big gear, about one or two millimetres above it. What can also help is turning the back of the mech in a little rather than setting it dead pralel to the gear.

Ironically it can be easier to get older ones not to rub. New mechs seem to be quite tight but they open up a bit with use.

Welcome Jonnyboy

If your bike is new and your having problems take it back to the shop they HAVE to fix it any problem that comes up with a new bike. If it is under 3 months old don't let them give it it's first service tell them you will bring it back in a month or two. If you play with it they will know and may try and charge you to fix it?

peanut

welcome Johnyboy.

front mechs eh ?! tsk:angry:

I've just spent 30 minutes this afternoon setting my front and rear mechs on an 8 speed:sad:

Sometimes it isn't possible to completely eliminate chain rub on the front mech cage.

As others have said you should disregard any rub you get when the chain is on the big ring and big sprocket or small ring smallest sprocket combinations because the angle that the chain makes is too great to expect smooth running and no rub on the front mech.

I would start by undoing the cable from the front mech.
Remove the chain from the chainset completly.
Spin the chainset and watch the edge of the big ring. Make sure that the big ring runs true (If it wobbles or has a buckle you'll need to address that first or you'll never get the gears set up.)

Operate the front mech through its normal travel by hand and make sure the front cage plate lines up with and is parralel to the big chainring.
Adjust the front mech until the gap between the cage front plate and the teeth of the big ring is 2mm -3mm max.

Put the cable back on and the chain and try set up the front mech again.

It sometimes takes a lot of tweaking to get it just right.
let us know how you get on.

If you let us know what part of the country you are in there is sure to be someone near who can pop round one evening and give you a hand

OP
OP
J

jonnyboy

yeah would have been back to the shop straight away but it was a web buy from a shop in london, I live near durham!! do u think i'll get a similar response from another bike shop. think i will have a go myself and faf on with it till i get it right

OP
OP
J

jonnyboy

nice 1 peanut cheers and thanks for all responses what a crackin forum this is I'll let u all know how I get on
cheers

OP
OP
J

jonnyboy

had a go this morning took it round the block seems fine so far will know better later when i go to work on it thanks a lot everyone

Top Bottom