Front suspension or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnb

Veteran
Looking around for a bike to get me back into cycling after some 25 years. I was looking for a budget hybrid without suspension on the basis that it's cheaper and if it's cheap I don't want to pay for something that just means compromising. However I have found an online retailer who will sell me an ex demo giant expression for half price. Now at that price is it worth having front suspension or is it still just something to go wrong. This wouldn't be for off road use so I don't particularly need suspension but as the bike is a good price is it worth it?

If you don't intend going off road, its just an unnecessary burden to carry round. You'll probably find that a cheaper rigid hybrid will probably be higher specced or at least more vfm.

I don't know how true this is but I was told that you have to spend 1k plus on the forks alone before it becomes worth it.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Front suspension is just extra weight - you don't need it 99% of the time on the road.

I realize the roads are full of potholes this time of year but just steer around them, that way you don't risk damaging your wheels or coming off.

PS - and rear suspension just makes it harder to keep your balance.

Its probably a nice round figure; what do you think you would really have to pay ?

The Rockshox Tora 302 is a superb front fork and can be had for around £180 .. maybe you are getting what you've heard confused with the general rule of thumb for buying a full sus bike is that you need to spend at least 1k to get anything that might be half way decent ?

Gaz .. im struggling to see how Chris S thinks its harder to balance on a full susser as well ?

Simon

The Rockshox Tora 302 is a superb front fork and can be had for around £180 .. maybe you are getting what you've heard confused with the general rule of thumb for buying a full sus bike is that you need to spend at least 1k to get anything that might be half way decent ?

Gaz .. im struggling to see how Chris S thinks its harder to balance on a full susser as well ?

Simon

Probably :-)

Just a guess on the full suspension, perhaps a poorly adjusted one travels more and is more awkward to handle; I couldn't say for certain though and surely that is the same for front suspension :wacko:

Zoiders

The bike effectively 'flexes' under you and you wobble about!
Sorry but thats complete bullshirt.

Steering set up and correct saddle height effect stabilty not the spring and unsprung weight of the bike.

A good sus setup improves contact with the riding surface, it doesnt just track up and over lumps it extends downwards into holes as well to ensure you maintain drive. It damps out rough stuff both directions.

A hardtail set up for city use, yes it can be very useful to have a front fork especialy if you like to mix up your routes between on and off road.

jay clock

Massive member
Front sus is completely unnecessary on road. It simply soaks up energy.

Run 100m down your street. time it. Now lay a line of matresses along the street for 100m. Run down them. Time it. The difference and the extra effort will be noticeable.

Same effect with front sus

Chris S

Legendary Member
Sorry but thats complete bullshirt.

Steering set up and correct saddle height effect stabilty not the spring and unsprung weight of the bike.

A good sus setup improves contact with the riding surface, it doesnt just track up and over lumps it extends downwards into holes as well to ensure you maintain drive. It damps out rough stuff both directions.

A hardtail set up for city use, yes it can be very useful to have a front fork especialy if you like to mix up your routes between on and off road.

You've never ridden a dual-suspension bike from Argos then!

Top Bottom