Front wheel digging in on slow turns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like I said, it didn't seem to respond in a linear way when I was adjusting it. 2 or 3 clicks into the top third of adjustment seemed to make more of a difference than in the middle. I went up and down a few times to be sure but I'm just adjusting this on feel, I could be wrong. I also read online that the lockout was not effective until the forks had been ridden a few times. I found this to be the case myself. I was on the verge of taking it back when it began working properly, so perhaps there's an element of bedding in going on.
We are talking at cross purposes. I thought by top third you mean the top part of the stroke. You are talking about the first (TOP) part of the adjustment. Yes, your experience correlates with the way the mechanism is designed. It is basically a venturi that is closed by a screw-in dial. Although the screw thread is linear and the aperture closes linearly, the flow dynamics are not correspondingly linear. Your best way to tackle this problem is to repeat the same turn on the bike, each time adjusting the fork a little bit until you get the desired response. It is very fiddly and most people don't identify what you've noticed and just ride the fork with whatever setting it has since little Johnny last fiddled with the knob.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I went for a short test ride over a section I did last week, which may have been a mistake as I had already done an hour on the turbo so discovered I was absolutely pooped: Anyhow...

First impression are that it felt, stiffer, for want of a better description but hitting the steps climbing didn't feel any different. I'm not sure if when I came back down it felt as smooth, I'd need to do it again really and as Yellow Saddle said make some adjustments en route but I felt way too pooped to go back up and try again!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Final update. Did the local route I did a few weeks ago and turning into the first tight turn, I braced for it to pack down and it didn't. Made a few adjustments on the ride and I'm pretty happy with it now. Wait until I get to a proper trail before I decide if it needs any more fettling. Thanks all.

Top Bottom