Froome latest .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All

All the same I think it ironic the accident occurred whilst attempting a 'snot rocket' xx(
I only just heard that on BBC Bespoke this morning. I've always said that they were a bad idea because you turn your head and most people take their eyes off the road momentarily... but this time, the wind might have taken him down anyway. Probably should have stopped and used a hankie!

I can use a hankie on the move, having never been able to blow a snot rocket and generally finding it a fecking dirty little uncouth habit anyway, especially in company.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I understand speed is relative, but if I was doing 54kmh on a bike I wouldn't be attempting anything other than staying upright.

That would involve keeping a very careful look out, and it would definitely involve keeping both hands on the handlebars.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Am I the only one who doesn't buy the "gust of wind took his wheel" excuse? Sound like they're scapegoating the wind for rider carelessness.
Why ? It's careless either way,did you not see the clip before hand on the news.Him struggling to put a jacket on in the wind ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think there's a bit of not kicking a guy when he's down. He's just broken a load of bones, send him flowers and a bunch of grapes and don't mention his rubbish bike handling
Surprisingly, no-one has yet reported him suffering any injury to his bunch of grapes!

I think everybody feels sorry for him. It's not kicking him while he's down to suggest he might have been responsible. I hope he has a speedy recovery. I'm a fan of his too.
In that article I linked to earlier, Dan Martin said the same thing had happened to him in different circumstances. Of course he could have been being kind but there's a lot of sideage to a modern TT bike, never ridden one so I don't know how it would be affected in the wind.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anybody who has ever ridden a bike with deep rims past a farm gate on a breezy day will know that feeling; it's like an invisible hand pushing you across the road. To stay upright you have no choice but to steer the same way and that can get you into trouble fast at speed.

That's on a regular road bike, heaven knows how an aero bike must be affected.

Top Bottom