Froome latest .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
At his age, he's probably going to have to retire if he doesn't compete seriously this year. Stage racing is not kind to anyone near their mid-30s.
Chris Horner ;) ;)

There was a report from Froome that was less than encouraging a couple of months back. He was going to enter some criterium or other but said that he still couldn't walk unaided and couldn't ride other than at "touring pace" All IIRC

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I think his time is over despite being a very intelligent and brilliant cyclist. No one can fight ageing successfully and there are too many gifted young cyclists on the scene now. I don't think he will ever win his 5th tour. If only he had been in a different team when he was racing with Wiggins, he would have won that year as he was a stronger rider than Wiggins.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It doesn't look great for him right now but nobody comes back from an injury like that without having setbacks. I would never bet against him.
People do sometimes make a (pretty much) full recovery. I once saw Pantani going up a mountain on the Costa Blanca at warp speed on a training ride, years after he shattered a leg in a collision with a car. Luke Rowe was back much quicker than expected from his serious leg injury.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agree that quitting a training camp early is not of itself a signal he's finished.

If he is, at least he can enter non-pro peloton life as a comparatively fit and healthy man.

He could easily have been crippled or suffered a brain injury in that crash.

I hope he gets back.

Cycling in the UK is still very much a minority sport, and it has detractors.

Our British world beater is still needed to promote it.

Slick

Guru
People do sometimes make a (pretty much) full recovery. I once saw Pantani going up a mountain on the Costa Blanca at warp speed on a training ride, years after he shattered a leg in a collision with a car. Luke Rowe was back much quicker than expected from his serious leg injury.
I was meaning that leaving the training camp early was a set back, not the end. I've always reckoned if anyone can recover, it's him.

Sharky

Guru
One thing about accidents and recovery, the mind becomes much more focused and disciplined to regain the fitness you once had. So wouldn't discount him just yet.

Last edited:
I am not going to write him off though I do think it will take a lot longer than he expected to reach anywhere near his previous level. as said upthread if it can be done then I do think he has the determination to see it through:bicycle::bicycle:

Top Bottom