Froome v Wiggins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Do Sky have too many team leaders? Should Wiggo be allowed to defend his Tour title if he wants to? Would Froome have won the TdF last year if team orders hadn't held him back? Are Sky just playing mind games? Do Froome and Wiggins really hate each other? Which one has the fittest girlfriend?

Speak your branes here - and keep the Giro thread for Giro discussion...

SS Retro

Wiggins for me never been able to take to Froome something about him grates on me. But more than likely Sky tactics make it look like a team with in fighting and come out and destroy all challengers.

Buddfox

Veteran
Geraint Thomas said this evening he liked the rivalry... this thing will run and run. TBH I wonder if Sky are letting it happen as a distraction to the other teams.

thom

____
Do Sky have too many team leaders?
Not in my opinion. 3 Grand Tours - one guy can't win them all.
Should Wiggo be allowed to defend his Tour title if he wants to?
The fact is he was given this possibility and chose to prioritise the Giro.
Given he did this and that even a dominant Contador was not capable of winning the Giro and the Tour in the same year, I think he is deluding himself entertaining the thought that he might pull it off at this point and is silly to talk about it publicly.
Would Froome have won the TdF last year if team orders hadn't held him back?

If Froome had been team leader last year, I think it distinctly likely that he would have ended up winning the tour. Not by as much as Wiggins did in the end but he probably would have won it.
You then have to think, what would have happened regarding the team leadership if Froome had previously been given his head in the Vuelta and indeed had won it, so becoming the first Brit to win a Grand Tour. (What has Cobo done since by the way ?).
Are Sky just playing mind games?
No, I don't think this reflects well on them.
Do Froome and Wiggins really hate each other?
Hate is probably too strong a word.
Which one has the fittest girlfriend?
Isn't Brad married ?
Speak your branes here - and keep the Giro thread for Giro discussion...

The fact is he was given this possibility and chose to prioritise the Giro.
Given he did this and that even a dominant Contador was not capable of winning the Giro and the Tour in the same year, I think he is deluding himself entertaining the thought that he might pull it off at this point and is silly to talk about it publicly.

This bit's key. I was trying to recall exactly what he's said about the Giro vs the Tour. He didn't rule the latter out but the implication was that he wouldn't ride to win it. Now he seems to have changed track but all of Sky's prep. looks like a dual approach.

It goes back to the original reasoning of why he's doing the Giro, because this years tour doesn't suit him. Maybe he's re-appraised his form but that seems rash pre-Giro and unfair and Froome clearly sees himself as Tour leader.

thom

____
This bit's key. I was trying to recall exactly what he's said about the Giro vs the Tour. He didn't rule the latter out but the implication was that he wouldn't ride to win it. Now he seems to have changed track but all of Sky's prep. looks like a dual approach.

It goes back to the original reasoning of why he's doing the Giro, because this years tour doesn't suit him. Maybe he's re-appraised his form but that seems rash pre-Giro and unfair and Froome clearly sees himself as Tour leader.
Agreed.

Going back to Froome's second place in the Vuelta, I wonder if Wiggins hadn't crashed out of the Tour that year, would Froome have been given backing enough to win it ? Perhaps Wiggins would have won that Tour instead of Cadel though. Ifs and buts abound.

Anyway, hopefully this will blow over as soon as the Giro starts. I really want Wiggo to win that and if he does so, for it to be understood as a better achievement than his tour win.

No way is this some sort of mind game or pr stunt by Sky, that's complete rubbish.
I can see why Wiggins would like to target the double, if he pulls it off he will be in the select company of past greats such as Merckx Coppi and Anquetil, so you can see the temptation.
Sky are probably toiling to manage this, having told the world Froome will be TdF leader, well, it is a conflict.
Very good analysis by Robert Millar on the situation here which I am inclined to agree with.

Anyway, hopefully this will blow over as soon as the Giro starts. I really want Wiggo to win that and if he does so, for it to be understood as a better achievement than his tour win.
Not challenging your opinion,just interested, but why do you say that?

400bhp

Guru
No way is this some sort of mind game or pr stunt by Sky, that's complete rubbish.
I can see why Wiggins would like to target the double, if he pulls it off he will be in the select company of past greats such as Merckx Coppi and Anquetil, so you can see the temptation.
Sky are probably toiling to manage this, having told the world Froome will be TdF leader, well, it is a conflict.
Very good analysis by Robert Millar on the situation here which I am inclined to agree with.

If you say so.

tigger

Über Member
Not challenging your opinion,just interested, but why do you say that?

Because the Parcours (route) for this years Giro is widely regarded as more difficult (mountainous) than last years Tour de France. Also there is slightly less individual Time Trial distance in the Giro which is Wiggin's forte. So if you like it's a harder race on paper for Wiggins and doesn't play to his strengths as much as last years Tour

Top Bottom