Fruit and Veg growers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
What’s your set-up?? And what you planning to grow this year??

I don’t have a greenhouse, so all my growing will be done in 5 x 2mtr x 80cm raised beds - 45cm high and looking at doing

carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, betroot, strawberries and raspberries.....already got 5 fruit trees ( 2 apple, 1 pear, 1 plum, 1 cherry)

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Our sunflowers did very well last year and we kept some seeds from the head of the biggest one pictured below:

955B8D9E-0E2D-419F-9932-2E39E789C377.jpeg

Randomly
Strawberries, someone gave me gooseberry and raspberry canes one of which is in a pot. I have cut down and tried to dig up some bocking 14 comfy (sterile seeds). Hoping they won't regrow. Kept some of the roots to plant elsewhere. That area i am going to fill with sweetcorn. Generally I eat straight of the plant no cooking.
Was going with no brassicas because the netting is a pain but may plants some late autumn no netting. If there is still any cabbage whites around I will pick them off by hand.
Carrots early nantes and mainly Paris market thingy. Little round ones. 2 crops. Then an autumn one. Possible one than I can pick through the winter. Have decided I will plant them in guttering and just take ends off and push the soil and Carrots out into an appropriate size trench. To avoid disturbance.
Onion seeds i leave in greenhouse they stop growing once it gets to hot. Once there is some clear soil in the autumn I will plant them out. Elephant garlic and proper garlic is out. I need to go out and pick some of the leeks that have been over wintering. I have 4" wide areas which appear to perfect for them
Tomatoes 20 plus tumbling toms. A few indeterminate beef tomatoes and a few moneymaker tomatoes. 3 maybe more of the long sweet peppers. 6 of the small peppers for the conservatory. They will supply me to February.
And other things. Now I will have to check my seed packets to see if have everything. Thanks alot I needed that to get me going.
I have had 20 asparagus plants but mice have killed 3. I know where they are getting in now. So need to bmouse traps. Also need 2 smoke bombs for greenhouse and conservatory.
Just remembered 4 types of beans 3 for drying.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Randomly
Strawberries, someone gave me gooseberry and raspberry canes one of which is in a pot. I have cut down and tried to dig up some bocking 14 comfy (sterile seeds). Hoping they won't regrow. Kept some of the roots to plant elsewhere. That area i am going to fill with sweetcorn. Generally I eat straight of the plant no cooking.
Was going with no brassicas because the netting is a pain but may plants some late autumn no netting. If there is still any cabbage whites around I will pick them off by hand.
Carrots early nantes and mainly Paris market thingy. Little round ones. 2 crops. Then an autumn one. Possible one than I can pick through the winter. Have decided I will plant them in guttering and just take ends off and push the soil and Carrots out into an appropriate size trench. To avoid disturbance.
Onion seeds i leave in greenhouse they stop growing once it gets to hot. Once there is some clear soil in the autumn I will plant them out. Elephant garlic and proper garlic is out. I need to go out and pick some of the leeks that have been over wintering. I have 4" wide areas which appear to perfect for them
Tomatoes 20 plus tumbling toms. A few indeterminate beef tomatoes and a few moneymaker tomatoes. 3 maybe more of the long sweet peppers. 6 of the small peppers for the conservatory. They will supply me to February.
And other things. Now I will have to check my seed packets to see if have everything. Thanks alot I needed that to get me going.
I have had 20 asparagus plants but mice have killed 3. I know where they are getting in now. So need to bmouse traps. Also need 2 smoke bombs for greenhouse and conservatory.
Just remembered 4 types of beans 3 for drying.
Top growing that man.......

PaulSB

Legendary Member
  • Asparagus
  • Blackcurrants
  • Redcurrants
  • Apples
  • Plums
  • Rhubarb
  • Tomatoes
  • Early potato
  • Lettuce
  • Flat leaf parsley
  • Peppers
  • Courgettes
  • Runner beans
  • French beans
  • Mange tout
  • Garlic
  • Onions - red
  • Onions - white
  • Spring onions
  • Purple kale
  • Cavolo nero
  • Broccoli
  • Basil
  • Corriander
  • Pak Choi
  • Leeks
  • Strawberry
  • Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Lavender, Fennel, Mint, Chives

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Apples
Pears
Blackberries
Raspberries
Blackcurrants
Strawberries
Rhubarb
Tomato (Sungold & Roma)
Chillis
Spring Onion
Sweet Pepper
Garlic
Lettuce
Sprouts
Carrots
Courgette
Swiss Chard
Potatoes
Beetroot
Basil, Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Marjoram, Mint, Chives

Mainly raised beds of various sizes, plus a greenhouse and containers. The potatoes this year I am trying growing in sacks in some otherwise dead space.
The herb garden is a permanent feature, but around 30 Rosemary cuttings taken last year, will be planted for pleasant smells elsewhere in the garden
I am expecting a poor year for my apples and pears this year. All three trees had a bumper year last year.

Top Bottom