Frustrated - Smoking Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, I've been using my TacX Vortex smart a few times this week and decided this morning to set a benchmark for myself by taking the FTP test. First, I'm not sure if Bkool was working right because all I saw on the screen was some mountains in the clouds and 3, 3/4 circles. But I heard it beep to count me down and I started pedaling. After about 8 or 9 minutes I yelled up to my wife because it smelled like the dryer was getting hot.....turns out my Trainer was smoking!!! When I stopped pedaling white smoke bellowed out from the cover on the circuit board side of the trainer.

What the heck! It would be just my luck to get a defective unit. I was just starting to get into using it, and bought a 30 day premium subscription to Bkool this morning. So now I'm left with some decisions to make. Obviously the trainer is going back to Amazon. I'm looking for some advice however.

Should I just get a replacement unit? OR, should I consider a different trainer. I paid $479 USD for this one (not sure what that converts to for you guys on the other side of the pond). So if I'm going to get something else, it needs to be in that price range. Any suggestions? I was happy with the TacX for the most part until this happened.

Help, I'm frustrated and a bit discouraged. Plus this is a major set back in my attempt to lose weight and get fit.

screenman

Legendary Member
$479 = about £900. Sorry but you may need to be over here to get the sarcasm in that one.

I must say I have never heard of any problems with them, so if you are happy with it I would say just get them to change it.

Mind you fantastic bragging rights, not many guys can burn a turbo out^_^

OP
OP
Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

Regular
I was wondering if the new Bkool Go would be better for me? I'm mainly planning to use this on Bkool but would like the option for it to work with zwift, trainer road, etc etc. Just thinking out loud really. I'm also impatient and want to get back in the saddle ASAP! ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think you've just been unlucky. I noticed burning from my Tacx a few weeks back. Fortunately, it was the tyre on the frame (steel bike with horizontal drop outs). :blush:

OP
OP
Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81

Regular
The wife just texted me at work and told me my new TacX arrived. Will have to swap it out when I get home tonight, also have an appointment to cut my hair after work so not sure if I'll get time to ride it. Hoping this one doesn't create a smoke show like that last one.

kamilus

Same problem here. TacxGenius bought in November 2016. White smoke like it was on fire but I think there was no fire.. Waiting for replacement.

Top Bottom