Frustrated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
I want to be 9 inches shorter!

I'm 6' 3" tall and after having a proper bike fitting now know why I get back and neck pain on my bike... I need a 62cm frame

No problem thinks me, good excuse to buy a new bike

Have you any idea how hard it is to get one?

Loads of companies may claim to sell them, but try and get one, local shops don't have anything to test ride and wiggle, Evans etc etc all say discontinued.

So whereas most of you get a choice of 20 odd bikes when I contacted wiggle directly they came back with one, yes one bike!

Even went to the planetX shop in Yorkshire when I was up there last week and they actually said they couldn't help me at all!

Arrrggghhhhh

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Who was the bike fitting with?

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
Stephen James in Enfield.

Was very good and very helpful

Problem is he only sells Trek and I would like at least a choice!

Noodley

Are you saying you cannot find bikes to buy or bikes to test ride?

Surely part of the benefit of having a bike fitting is it takes away the need to test ride a bike for size? Or am I wrong in mu presumption, having never had a bike fitting?

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
You're right, I now know exactly what my settings should be, but buying online you are limited by what you can find out, and buying from a shop very few have any of my size available so you dont know if it can be adjusted to fit

my problem (as it is on my current tifosi) is that I can't get a headset high enough when my seat height is correct and each manufacturer is slightly different

I know the trek domane 62cm will fit but would have liked to try a few other bikes out

Noodley

Could you not get a bike with the steerer uncut? Then you could get LBS to cut to your size and use spacers?

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
Problem is I need it bigger than they come unless its an oversized frame.

I can get a bike to fit its just frustrating that I can't try alternatives as no one holds them in stock

Noodley

Aye, I get where you are coming from cos I am tall as well, but I've never really found it too difficult to find a bike - most manufacturers will give a sizing guide. 6'3" is usually on the top limit of one frame size and the lower end of the next size up, so it's really a question of asking the manufacturers what set up would be most suited to you - and with custom fit measurements like you have this should not be an issue. The chances for anyone finding a bike that fits them exactly from the shop is slim and usually involves tweaking with the set-up, including stem length, seatpost height, saddle, etc. so you are not really to different from anyone else. In fact, with your custom mesurements you are probably much better off.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
Oh I know I can use my measurements but for example if I set my tifosi to the correct seat height my stem is 8cm too low so even with a 130mm 17 degree stem I can't get it set right.

And every shop I have been to promise me they can get a bike to fit me but ..."we haven't got any in store for you to try"

Now I understand that, but I'm not keen on spending 3k based on a comment from someone who might only be a part time student!

Noodley

I cannae work out the "8cm too low" bit, what do you mean by that?

Is it a case of you are needing a steerer built it up with spacers?

(Just popping out to collect my daughter, be back in 30 mins or so...)

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
I cannae work out the "8cm too low" bit, what do you mean by that?

Is it a case of you are needing a steerer built it up with spacers?

(Just popping out to collect my daughter, be back in 30 mins or so...)

Got all the spacers I can have.

The frame like a lot of Italian frames has a short headstock ( well that's what I'd call it on a motorbike) and I have the stem at the top of it, with a 17 degree angle on it and it's still way too low unless I'm trying to do a time trial

I can manage but it's not comfy ( I had a back op which means I'm a bit sensitive)

The guy who did the fitting was surprised at my numbers in fact I was too tall for his rig.

Apparently most people either have long legs or a long torso, whereas I have both I am 6'3" and my inseam is 89 cm

Check that out on most bike size charts and they can't cope

Anyway off to another couple of shops tomorrow in Essex to see how they can cope

Noodley

same inseam as me, but maybe the 'problem' is your back op, and you should be looking at butterfly bars so that you can get the correct frame size and be comfortable?

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
My problem is more that I know what size I need more or less but no shops stock them so I can see which I prefer and none of the online shops hae them in stock so I can't look at alternative

Noodley

I think you have just been unlucky, as I have never found it a problem to find larger sized framed bikes - maybe because it's the transition between 2012 and 2013 models? Whatever the reason, I hope you get something which suits.

OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
Thanks, just sound out the trek domane isn't available until October so I have plenty of time!

Top Bottom