Frustrated >:(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
I made the commitment to try clipless until I got the hang of it.

I can clip in and out so easily on the turbo, I have no issues getting in or out of my pedals. Take the bike out the turbo and I seem to forget how to ride a bike! I have been cycling up and down my hall, falling over as when I realise I can't put my foot down, I panic and lose the head. I have been trying to get into the habit of leaning left and putting my left foot down but I can't seem to balance and end up falling to the right.

I am experiencing so much clipless related anxiety I'm wondering if it's worth it :-/

What is going on here?! Can I get over this? Has anyone else felt like it?

HorTs

Über Member
Have you actually been out on the bike with clipless yet? Try and get out and about but take it slow on trafficless paths so you don't panic when you need to stop.

Do you have the pedals set to their loosest? Obviously the looser they are the easier you'll get them out.

It's just a matter time time and miles.

You will fall off at least once.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
Have you actually been out on the bike with clipless yet? Try and get out and about but take it slow on trafficless paths so you don't panic when you need to stop.

Do you have the pedals set to their loosest? Obviously the looser they are the easier you'll get them out.

It's just a matter time time and miles.

You will fall off at least once.

No I am scared of hard tarmac at the moment. I tried 3 years ago and leaned the wrong way and fell and injured myself quite badly. I do wonder if it would be easier to have a long stretch of path to get used to pedalling/ steering clipped in.

Pedals are set to their loosest. It's not the clipping in and out that's a problem, it seems to be my balance! Like as soon as I clip in I forget how to ride a bike, it's weird.

zizou

Veteran
Try it on a quiet bit of road or cyclepath - cycling up and down a hallway sounds liKe it could be part of the problem as you will be worried about crashing into something. The more worried you are then the more you will think about it and that is when it will become difficult, plus you will be going really slow compared to what you will be doing outside so the momentum wont keep you up so well

AndyRM

XOXO
I think you need to give yourself a bit more space, and consequently speed. Wobbling down your hall isn't going to inspire much confidence.

Get out to a park or somewhere grassy and practise there - you'll look a plank if you over-balance, but it won't hurt.

Also, decide which pedal you're going to clip out from ahead of time. Then you're not panicking and trying to make too many decisions.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I found that if I stayed sat on the saddle after unclipping there was still a chance I would fall the wrong way, so I now use another method.

Unclip well in advance, but as I come to a stop, slide right forward off the saddle completely so it's like I'm stepping down to the ground with my unclipped foot. It has never failed so far.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
I think you might be right, I need to go to a field somewhere and fall over softly.

I think there is some lingering anxiety from my previous injury. I mean honestly as stupid as this sound I'm so nervous my heart races when I clip in :-/ But I really want to stick with it.

I am hoping the problem is the slow speed, I just thought carpet would be nice and soft to fall on haha.

Either that or it's just my lack of coordination that's the problem :-/

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
Also try cycling without actually clipping in, it might give you the confidence before attaching yourself.

Haha, I was clipping in my right foot and leaving my left foot (the one I would put down when I stop) unclipped. This resulted in me accidentally clipping in, screaming expletives at the top of my voice and promptly falling over.

anyuser

Über Member
All good advice above and after a week you will be unclipping without even thinking about it. I fell off twice in that first week:smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think you need to give yourself a bit more space, and consequently speed. Wobbling down your hall isn't going to inspire much confidence.

Get out to a park or somewhere grassy and practise there - you'll look a plank if you over-balance, but it won't hurt.

Also, decide which pedal you're going to clip out from ahead of time. Then you're not panicking and trying to make too many decisions.
+1 to that after a bit of practise you can unclip quick enough at a dead stop to get your foot down if you have your feet in the right position( i will have to double check that as when i do it at a stop its normally a reaction unclip and i am dang if i could tell you what the angle is )

Saluki

World class procrastinator
When I started clipless I worried myself silly. Or at least sillier than normal. The way I got over it was I cycled in a safe place where I could put my hand out on a wall or lamp post. I also decided that I was going to unclip and stop at a particular spot up ahead so gave myself a lot of time to unclip before arriving at that spot.
Just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it. Try to stop worrying, I know that's easier said than done but maybe try cycling on grass for a bit.

screenman

Legendary Member
Get some speed up and then practise unclipping whilst going at a smooth pace, you are going to have a problem poodling up and down the hall.

mattobrien

Guru
I have had two clip less moments, both on my MTB and both when practicing with the pedals. One resulted in me falling from a fair height straight down on to my backside and I somewhat buggered my back, meaning I couldn't lift anything until it healed. Fortunately it was just muscular and there aren't currently any lingering effects.

My motto is never practice!

Top Bottom