FSA Gossmar Compact Crank 50/34 T

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Does anyone know how i can remove said bearings from the crank on my chainset its a Boardman Road Comp please see picture below................

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any help/advice/p'taking greatly appreciated ^_^

OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc
This is the chainset the there is a bearing either end of the Gold bottom bracket does anyone know if they need greasing or if they can be removed greased and then re-inserted ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The bearings are sealed, so will not need greasing. If they are knackered, just replace the BB. Unless there is anything actually wrong with the BB I would leave it alone. If you need to remove the BB cups you will need a shimano HT2 removal tool..

OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc
THIS is the Park Tool one to remove them, (which also includes cups for re-fitting as well), but you can also use one of THESE to remove as well.

You'd then need THESE to re-fit the new bearings.

As b'n'y says, the bearings are sealed. You can open them and re-pack them with grease, but it only works in the short time.

FWIW IME BB30 is $hite. I've converted mine to Hollowtech II a few months ago, and I've not had a single issue with it since.

Thanks Smokey as far as im aware its not BB30 ? i maybe completely wrong its not listed on the spec of the bike as a BB30. Thanks for the links though excellent stuff :thumbsup:

THIS is the Park Tool one to remove them, (which also includes cups for re-fitting as well), but you can also use one of THESE to remove as well.

You'd then need THESE to re-fit the new bearings.

As b'n'y says, the bearings are sealed. You can open them and re-pack them with grease, but it only works in the short time.

FWIW IME BB30 is $hite. I've converted mine to Hollowtech II a few months ago, and I've not had a single issue with it since.

He won't need any of that stuff, because he doesn't have a BB30 - he has an FSA megaexo, which is HT2 compatible.

OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc
He won't need any of that stuff, because he doesn't have a BB30 - he has an FSA megaexo, which is HT2 compatible.

Thats what Mr Venge found aswell he sourced out it was a mega exo. Can i ask is it deffinatly a sealed unit as in if the bearings are knackerd the whole unit is knackerd ? Its a 8 week ish old bike i just want to get my facts straight if i have to take it back.

Can i also ask sorry did you change yours because it was knackerd and if so where these said bearings noticeably shot ? or you just up-graded ?

Thats what Mr Venge found aswell he sourced out it was a mega exo. Can i ask is it deffinatly a sealed unit as in if the bearings are knackerd the whole unit is knackerd ? Its a 8 week ish old bike i just want to get my facts straight if i have to take it back.

Can i also ask sorry did you change yours because it was knackerd and if so where these said bearings noticeably shot ? or you just up-graded ?

I've changed a few megaexo BBs, usually because the bearings were shot and usually after a few thousand miles. Never after 8 weeks though - what's the issue with the BB..?

OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I had/have a mega annoying click on the left hand side as you look down from the saddle every time i pedal it was meant to be fixed when i returned it to Helfrauds the other day :cursing: it seem to have been had a little mile or so ride after picking it up and all seemed ok. went out today click click click !! undid the middle of the crank which i must say want very tight at all ? removed the screw thread which must have had a thumb nail sized bit of grease and a fair amount of road crap around it and then removed pedal etc. Must say everything looked very clean and with a minimal amount of grease.

Wiped everything down and im hoping with a generous amount of grease on all the parts i removed my click will dissapear ?

In your opinion what do you think my chances are please ?

I'm not really clear on what you've done. I would be suprised if the BB needed replacing after just 8 weeks, so my guess is that the issue is elsewhere..

OP
OP
mark st1

mark st1

Plastic Manc
lol over complicated explanation from me. Now you have said the bearings are sealed and to my limited knowledge the 2 bearings at either end of the BB move freely dont make a noise etc. So im hoping greasing everything up i have removed in order to get to the picture at the top of my thread will eliminate the clicking noise.

Top Bottom