FSA saga

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Matthew Fox, 10 Mar 2017.

Tags:
  1. Matthew Fox

Matthew Fox Active Member

Hello All,

I recently replaced my FSA BB-4000 (19mm) bottom bracket.

I am now looking to replace my cranks, however I have ran in a problem due to the FSA size being 19mm. I was looking at upgrading my FSA cranks to Shimano however not sure what is compatible. There has been quite a few threads I have seen but not been able to get my head around what is compatible with the FSA bottom bracket. What cranks can I get?

If there isn't a compatible cranks can I replace the BB with a shimano hollowtech II?

Please could someone help explain?

2. S-Express

S-Express Guest

You can replace the chainset/BB with any other system compatible with a 68mm BSA BB shell.

Matthew Fox likes this.
  3. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

Yes you can is the answer. I had a FSA crank on my Ti when I bought it. I was involved in a pile up which scuffed the lever hoods and made the FSA crank bend like plasticine. Switched straight away to Hollowtech II and a 105 crank with no issues at all.

Matthew Fox likes this.
  4. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

What @S-Express said. Just choose a bottom bracket which screws into your 68mm shell and a compatible chainset.
    Don't get hung up on Shimano cranks, at least not as an 'upgrade'.
    Jan Heine has written this on the subject of square taper.
    For more on bottom brackets, you may wish to read this post.

Matthew Fox and S-Express like this.
  5. Hollowtech II cranks are 24 mm so you'll need a BB with a 24mm diameter hole. I believe your bike will be BSA standard, so any threaded Hollowtech II BB with English threads will work.

Matthew Fox likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Matthew Fox

Matthew Fox Active Member

Thanks guys, i bought hollowtech II BB and cranks at 24mm diamter and this is working fine!

gbb, Racing roadkill and Ajax Bay like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice