Fuel additive for E10 fuel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Do you recommend using a fuel additive to counter act the effect of ethanol on the engine fuel system on modern cars?
I read that ethanol can damage gaskets, rubber and may cause a build up of rust as well so I do wonder,

Milzy

Guru
Do you recommend using a fuel additive to counter act the effect of ethanol on the engine fuel system on modern cars?
I read that ethanol can damage gaskets, rubber and may cause a build up of rust as well so I do wonder,
Modern cars should be more resistant to ethanol. I’m not sure if the additives would work well. They’re expensive & could be like snake oil.

gbb

Legendary Member
To reduce the potential for damage i'd already started using E5...but prices lately have driven me back to E10.

My (limited) understanding is the ethanol is more of a problem if the vehicle is not being used for reasonable amounts of time. I assume from that, (assuming its true), regular turnover of E10 is a bit less of a problem.

Having a relatively new car, I'm doing everything I can to make sure it lasts..but you wonder, In another 10 years, will ICE cars be uneconomical to own for most people anyway ?

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD uses an addictive that stops petrol from losing its effectiveness for up to 6 months. He uses it in the ride on mower. Not sure if it does anything else though. :laugh: as above most newish cars should be ok.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My car is from 2002. It just falls in the Nissan's useable range. Bear in mind it had been sat not used enough for 18 months with covid, popped in E10 and it was a dog... woof.

Roll on 6 months, I've used an additive occasionally and it ran well. E5 Super, gives me at least a 10% fuel efficiency increase over old E5 and new E10. Gone from 38-40 MPG at best to 45 MPG on E5 Super.

How old is the car - if the car is newer, it should be OK, but you'll find Super will give you better fuel efficiency.

I've popped in Hydra PIC-24 every few tanks and it's cleaned out any 'rubbish' in the injectors.

Top Bottom