Fuel Price Protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Kaipaith said:
You may well be right.

I did beg forgiveness for my earlier comment, however, I do still wonder how many journeys considered vital in today's world really are. I also wonder whether the current price of fuel today propagates the idea that the individual has access the any of the resources he or she chooses at any point in time.

I see as big a problem in the idea that a local Supermarket that sells strawberries in winter as someone who commutes 40 or 50 miles to work each day.

Changing the cost of fuel would inherently change all of our lives. Some of it would be for the worse, but I think some of it would be for the better.

I would guess at least 50% of journeys are not vital by car.

The wife and myself (and shes not as commited a cyclist as myself, but enjoys it all the same) will often do a 10 to 15 mile round trip to visit family or friends..even for just an hours visit.

You've come by bike !!!!!! they say.....all that way ???

People dont seem able to open their mind to an alternative to a car.

andygates

Crackle, you are indeed in the back of beyond! But you're also in the minority as most people live a hell of a lot closer than that to vittles and nosh. Remote locations are always going to be a hassle to shop for, and always have been.

The weekly shop is a creature of modern attitudes. As a kid we had a productive garden and a chest freezer; the monthly shop was for storecupboard stuff. No, we didn't have fresh green beans in winter, but we didn't miss 'em either. Tinned prunes rock.

People who live in the country and think that they can live as if they have a Tesco next door but with a nicer view... they're simply wrong.

andygates said:
The weekly shop is a creature of modern attitudes. As a kid we had a productive garden and a chest freezer; the monthly shop was for storecupboard stuff. No, we didn't have fresh green beans in winter, but we didn't miss 'em either. Tinned prunes rock.

People who live in the country and think that they can live as if they have a Tesco next door but with a nicer view... they're simply wrong.

I agree: For those who choose to live there as a 'lifestyle' choice but for others it's a place that many live because it's what they do and if they live there, they need a corresponding infrastructure too.

I think the weekly shop is not so much a modern attitude as a fact of modern life. Previously people used to shop daily in the small local shops - go to Germany, you'll still see this.

As for self-sufficieny, there's a lot of it here but not all the land is arable, hence the sheep/cattle and deer that predominate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, merely pointing out the differences, there are many benefits too but where I live is not a rich area (though there are many wealthy people here), many have several jobs to make ends meet and fuel, which locally costs 20p per litre more than you will pay, has an impact.

Lets get real here....

Petrol has risen less than many other products over the last 30 years.

Bread for instance has risen faster as has alcohol and cigarettes.

Howzabout asking the Government to increase the subsidy on bread?

Anyone for a "Bread Protest?"

Increase duty on alcohol and tobacco, children's clothes and books (unless it's already been imposed). Double duties on air travel within the UK and treble on flights using UK airports. Double stamp duty on houses over £300k.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd certainly advocate an air fuel tax, but the issues are very complex and it would make the UK expensive in comparison to Europe/world to fly out of - shipping is what I'm talking about.

If you are taxing consumption, then there needs to be a fair system, but look at the US - highest polluters, and they don't care.

Fuel price doesn't bother me too much now, as I now spend £30 per month to fuel a large family car (wife drives the very economical one) rather than £300 per month to get to work. If possible find a job near to home that you can commute to on a bike... far less stressful, you arrive home far earlier, and with your training done...evening free to fettle the bike....;)

snorri

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
How would you fancy a 90 mile round trip on your bicycle to do the weeks shopping for four.

No one did a 90 mile round trip for weekly shopping until petrol became as cheap (in relative terms) as it is now. Petrol became cheaper, people travelled further to shop , local shops and travelling shops closed down, people then "had" to travel further to shop.
When petrol becomes expensive the whole process could go into reverse.

snorri

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
I have always wondered why they don't just have a city fuel tax and a rural fuel tax.
Because city people would drive to the rural or lower tax area to fill up.How does anyone define city and rural, or where do you draw the tax boundary line between the two?

John Ponting said:
Increase duty on alcohol and tobacco, children's clothes and books (unless it's already been imposed). Double duties on air travel within the UK and treble on flights using UK airports. Double stamp duty on houses over £300k.

Strangely the final part of my post went missing ...

I seldom drink, stopped smoking years ago, our only daughter is now 31, I've only flown 3 times ever so I could be a bit biased.;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I am only thinking along the lines that everything is that much more expensive in London than in the rest of the country. Higher tax on fuel in the cities would/could help to cut down the number of cars as they become more expensive to run.
Less cars = more efficiant public transport, which is what most London motorists say would tempt them from their cages?!

Define tax boundries by the density of car owning population perhaps?
Or in bands such as the 6 zones from central to the edges of Greater London.
People would have to plan the use of their cars better, I doubt that a commuting London driver would waste the expensive fuel they have already bought to drive 70 miles for cheaper fuel to use on the return.

Rural areas should be favoured in as much as London and most major cities already have sufficiant public transport, already giving the motorist a choice to use their car or not when rurally this generally isn't the case.

It's a tricky question all round and no one argument holds the high ground, but as I watch the steady increase of traffic in London(of anwhere else I cannot really speak)I can't help thinking that the age of the private car needs and will see some serious reigning in.

T x

domd1979

Veteran
There's all sorts of problems that would arise with differential fuel duty based on geography. What you're after could be achieved by road pricing though, which could be more effective at cutting traffic levels than fuel duty.

A lot of people choose to live in rural areas citing "quality of life" reasons, and live a lifestyle that requires long-distance commuting, usually by car. IMO that isn't something that should be subsidised through letting them benefit from lower motoring costs than the urban population.

tdr1nka said:
I am only thinking along the lines that everything is that much more expensive in London than in the rest of the country. Higher tax on fuel in the cities would/could help to cut down the number of cars as they become more expensive to run.
Less cars = more efficiant public transport, which is what most London motorists say would tempt them from their cages?!

Define tax boundries by the density of car owning population perhaps?
Or in bands such as the 6 zones from central to the edges of Greater London.
People would have to plan the use of their cars better, I doubt that a commuting London driver would waste the expensive fuel they have already bought to drive 70 miles for cheaper fuel to use on the return.

Rural areas should be favoured in as much as London and most major cities already have sufficiant public transport, already giving the motorist a choice to use their car or not when rurally this generally isn't the case.

It's a tricky question all round and no one argument holds the high ground, but as I watch the steady increase of traffic in London(of anwhere else I cannot really speak)I can't help thinking that the age of the private car needs and will see some serious reigning in.

T x

Top Bottom