Fuel Price Protests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

GrahamG said:
This is just a result of becoming too accustomed to years of deflating prices of consumer goods (all those things which need to be transported by lorry, including food) and below inflation increases in the cost of motoring. Food is cheaper than ever before, consumer goods are cheaper than ever before, the cost of motoring is cheaper than ever before (this is in relation to income which has been steadily inflating the whole time) - we've never had it so good as in the last 10 years!

All of a sudden prices start to increase and people start throwing their toys out of the pram, despite the fact that disposable income is pretty much higher than ever. Economic cycles etc. we're overdue a bust after an excessive amount of Gordon Brown's boom.

The arguments regarding those in remote rural areas and are entirely valid but there are mechanisms that could be used to redress that balance somewhat.

Red Diesel :sad:

andygates

Well, the local fuel protests caused less of an upset than a car wot broke down on some lane or other, judging by news coverage. You'd think these people were in some sort of minority, or the wrong, or something ;)

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

andygates said:
And people still move further away from work for those chocolate box views...

And get upset when it costs more to live there.

I agree, living in the countryside is nice. I want to do that too... but you have to be prepared to make certain adjustments. Many are positive adjustments, it just depends upon your viewpoint - and how much time you allot yourself to actually live.

My refuel in my broke the £40 barrier today. I don't cycle over winter because my commute is too long for that - if it was just four miles, or even six, I would consider it, but at twelve miles it is too long.

As it stands, I am starting to think about starting to commute by bike again early... just because my pocket is being pushed.

No, my "Human Rights" are not being violated as so many people are fond of saying when they can't buy a sandwich at the local petrol station, but rather I actually feel closer to the world.

Life is hard. I must admit... although I want the comforts, I like it like that.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
12 miles is an awesome commute, just perfect, especially in the winter. I commute quite a bit further than you do, although I must admit I wimped out and took the train on the way home today, which still leaves me with 10 miles.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

BentMikey said:
12 miles is an awesome commute, just perfect, especially in the winter. I commute quite a bit further than you do, although I must admit I wimped out and took the train on the way home today, which still leaves me with 10 miles.

Ouch Mikey! How long does it take you?

What time do you finish, and what time are you normally home?

gbb

Legendary Member
Again, nothing new in everyone squeaking once in a while...
Back in the early/mid 70s (when i started driving)...the price broke through the 50p a gallon :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
50p a gallon....noooooooooooooo :biggrin::biggrin:

But seriously...it hit everyone hard then...you couldnt give away Ford Zephers and the like.....:ohmy: A whole tranche of cars became unsellable overnight.

FWIW, petrol was 47p a gallon when i started driving :angry:

Taking into account my earnings then, and proportionally the same starting wages nowadays....theres very little difference in how many gallons of petrol you can buy with a weeks wages

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh I'm self employed, so I work all sorts of hours. It takes me about 1:15 on the way in, and 1:30-1:40 on the way home as there are a few hills. It's lovely, my ride starts out in the country in Biggin Hill, and I get to go all the way into the thick of London traffic which is great fun.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

gbb said:
Taking into account my earnings then, and proportionally the same starting wages nowadays....theres very little difference in how many gallons of petrol you can buy with a weeks wages

In a way, that's why I raised this thread. We (as a country) as supposed to be dissuading pollution, but our lifestyle hasn't really changed in 30 years - in many cases things have become more convenient, and we are taking it for granted.

The US came in for a lot of stick over the weekend, because they are unwilling to give up a way of life that they have become used to. How different are we?

gbb

Legendary Member
12 miles commute..if you can commit the time, no problem, if you have a backup plan when the weathers bad.

It seems a nice distance. 2.5 miles each way for me....no sooner got going and i'm home. I sometimes go a longer route and add a couple more miles on just for the fun.....but its still not very testing. I went AWOL on the way home tonight and did 11 miles...much more enjoyable.

Only really poor weather will normally stop me.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

gbb said:
It seems a nice distance. 2.5 miles each way for me....no sooner got going and i'm home. I sometimes go a longer route and add a couple more miles on just for the fun.....but its still not very testing. I went AWOL on the way home tonight and did 11 miles...much more enjoyable.

I would love that. I wish I could afford a house closer to work. The ability to choose would make a big difference.

gbb said:
But seriously...it hit everyone hard then...you couldnt give away Ford Zephers and the like.....:wacko: A whole tranche of cars became unsellable overnight.

The thing is, big cars are very unfashionable now and some nice machines can be picked up for small change. My Volvo 240 estate (leather seats and electric everything) is twenty years old but still in good nick and was bought for £130 with eight months' MOT. A new eco car would cost, er, considerably more than that, let's say £12 000. £11, 870 will buy me an awful lot of petrol, even at 33-35 mpg. And I like my Volvo, it has character and is unfashionably square. It stands out among all the jelly moulds on the road.:biggrin:

LLB

Rhythm Thief said:
The thing is, big cars are very unfashionable now and some nice machines can be picked up for small change. My Volvo 240 estate (leather seats and electric everything) is twenty years old but still in good nick and was bought for £130 with eight months' MOT. A new eco car would cost, er, considerably more than that, let's say £12 000. £11, 870 will buy me an awful lot of petrol, even at 33-35 mpg. And I like my Volvo, it has character and is unfashionably square. It stands out among all the jelly moulds on the road.:biggrin:

Likewise with mine, Its not worth £2k now, but is 17 years old and still going very strong - even with the abuse it gets.

If I were to get a Prius, the devaluation would muller me. the Prius is never going to be an everyday family car because its just too expensive for the masses. Its just a tax dodge for those living in the congestion zone, and the idealistic bunch outside who have more money than sense :wacko:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Rhythm Thief said:
The thing is, big cars are very unfashionable now and some nice machines can be picked up for small change. My Volvo 240 estate (leather seats and electric everything) is twenty years old but still in good nick and was bought for £130 with eight months' MOT. A new eco car would cost, er, considerably more than that, let's say £12 000. £11, 870 will buy me an awful lot of petrol, even at 33-35 mpg. And I like my Volvo, it has character and is unfashionably square. It stands out among all the jelly moulds on the road.;)

Proper musicians car too. Can't get a drumkit in a Prius.

Top Bottom