Fuel tariffs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Means tested I believe
Ours wasn't but that is not to say the rules haven't changed
It wasn't very expensive to do 8 inches of loft insulation myself.
You're welcome to it, nasty horrible stuff, my choices were to let somebody else do it for free, or pay for it & do it myself, I'll let you decide which I went with.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's doesn't matter where British Gas, Scottish Power, or Yorkshire Tea buy their power from - it all comes down the same cable form the same source, and only the distribution network (in my case Western Power distribution) have any influence on that. Indeed, even they have little real influence because the infrastructure is fixed. They can't flick a switch and only pipe Treehugger Power Ltd electricity to your house because you've now signed with them.

No matter what you do the power you use comes form the same source or combinaton of sources, be it coal, gas, solar, wind, or albatross wing beats. It's a paper exercise, not an exercise in physically providing you with power from a more sustainable source.

The most that can be done is to switch in or out strategic level generators - usually gas, because its high output and can be brought on line quickly - to pick up the slack during times of high demand. That's high order stuff, not the sort of thing that can be done to supply an individual customers property.
Yes, I fully understand this and knew, roughly, it to be the case. I fully appreciate the energy which actually enters my home will have been generated by one of several different methods.

I probably didn't explain myself very well. The supplier has to purchase energy from a generator. The supplier can choose where to purchase that energy and if the supplier chooses to purchase 100% of its energy from green sources through my purchasing from that green supplier I am helping my green supplier to achieve this. Clearly there can't be different forms of electricity travelling along the same lines.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, it wasn't a fun job. I have overalls and a respirator, gloves etc, but it was hot beyond belief and it was no fun a chap my size trying to squeeze into the small places.

It only cost me a few hundred quid, but to be fair even if you have to pay someone a lot more to do it they really earn their money!

I probably didn't explain myself very well. The supplier has to purchase energy from a generator. The supplier can choose where to purchase that energy and if the supplier chooses to purchase 100% of its energy from green sources through my purchasing from that green supplier I am helping my green supplier to achieve this. Clearly there can't be different forms of electricity travelling along the same lines.

i'm afraid, Mr SB, that it's a sop. Your green generator makes more money, but it does nothing to reduce the non-renewable generation sources in use. It's a money-go-round and they've figured out how to make that money stick at certain points in the system, not a genuine method of helping the planet. that money then goes into shareholder pockets, and they use it to purchase big cars and foreign holidays, and to fund an avaricious consumer lifestyle, so the NET effect is worse.

And the money game doesn't affect the coal generators much, because the bulk of their income is direct from the government anyway because of their strategic importance to the economy. Not as much cash as you'd think, but coal is cheap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom