Fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lostagain

There's probably an obvious answer to this question, but will ask anyway. If using a petrol stove on tour how do you buy fuel to replenish your fuel bottle, as petrol pumps have a minimum delivery of 5 litres?

White Gas and Coleman Fuel are cleaner versions of petrol for cooking stoves, available from hardware and camping shops in smaller volumes.

There's probably an obvious answer to this question, but will ask anyway. If using a petrol stove on tour how do you buy fuel to replenish your fuel bottle, as petrol pumps have a minimum delivery of 5 litres?
quick maybe odd sounding question.
Do you already have a petrol stove, or one of those multi-fuel things?

Baldy

Über Member
Only use white gas/petrol stoves when camping in Scandi winters, all other times I use gas or meths. As you can't fly with the fuel I generally buy the Primus fuel that's sold in the huts over there (very expensive). When I'm bikepacking it won't that cold so no need for such volatile fuel. For weekend trips meths is fine but any longer you would need too much of the stuff so then I use gas.

HelenD123

Guru
When I was in Canada and the US, albeit 10 years ago, it wasn't a problem to fill up a 1 litre bottle. Petrol makes the stove very dirty though so white gas is better.

OP
OP
Lostagain

Lostagain

quick maybe odd sounding question.
Do you already have a petrol stove, or one of those multi-fuel things?
I have a Gaz stove, which is hassle free and which I usually use for touring. Also have a Coleman petrol stove which is heavier and used when car camping.

I have a Gaz stove, which is hassle free and which I usually use for touring. Also have a Coleman petrol stove which is heavier and used when car camping.
I'd use the gas stove to be honest and get a collection of adaptors so that you can use a variety of canisters, some of which can be very cheap. I can use 4 different types of canister with compact adaptors.
I still curse the camping shop salesman who diverted me from a trangia bargain with tales of a wonder multifuel stove. I didn't buy the multifuel but while i pondered his advice i missed the trangia deal.

Top Bottom