Fugly cruise ships.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
It might be small, but I like this, which has just arrived back on the Clyde to be restored for the Glasgow Transport Museum.
It was built at Denny's in Dumbarton too!

.....And no, it isn't THE Queen Mary, but, the Queen Mary!:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TS_Queen_Mary
I hope Mr Coltrane and co. can get her back to something resembling this....

11870666_693211570808897_8418649000444484642_n.jpg

My claim to fame is that I have been on the original Queen Mary (but only for an afternoon in one of it's bars whilst a floating hotel at Long Beach!), as well as the above Queen Mary. Wouldn't thank you for a trip on the latest version; although it has to be said that Cunard have at least made an attempt to design their ships to look a little bit different from the others.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I hope Mr Coltraine and co. can get her back to something resembling this....

11870666_693211570808897_8418649000444484642_n.jpg

My claim to fame is that I have been on the original Queen Mary (but only for an afternoon in one of it's bars whilst a floating hotel at Long Beach!), as well as the above Queen Mary. Wouldn't thank you for a trip on the latest version; although it has to be said that Cunard have at least made an attempt to design their ships to look a little bit different from the others.

The TS Queen Mary, seen above, was the original one, but when the liner came later, they had to change the name of this one to Queen Mary 2, which is takin' a bleedin' liberty, innit?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
The TS Queen Mary, seen above, was the original one, but when the liner came later, they had to change the name of this one to Queen Mary 2, which is takin' a bleedin' liberty, innit?
Did they HAVE to; or was there a large envelope given to someone at Caledonian Steam Packet (or whatever they were called at that time) from someone at Cunard? I seem to remember that there was some agreement reached.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Actually, if I won serious money on the lottery, I would buy an old ferry or similar (or two), something old, with history and with character, you know, and I would then convert it into a luxury cruise ship and hire it out when I wasn't using it! :becool:

Not quite what I had in mind, but I am led to believe there is a group who are wanting to preserve one of the Clyde car ferries built in the '70s, the Saturn or Juno or whatever it is.
Of these ferries, I presume they were partly Queen Mary's replacement, so it would be interesting to see both together again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Actually, if I won serious money the lottery, I would buy an old ferry or similar (or two) like the Queen Mary 2, something old, with history and with character, you know, and I would then convert it into a luxury cruise ship and hire it out when I wasn't using it! :becool:
Someone beat you to it!
This cruise ship which currently does luxury trips around the west coast (and has been recently chartered by none less than Her Majesty).......

article-2045516-0E3D620900000578-766_468x311.jpg

Used to be this car ferry based in Oban.....

Columba02.jpg

For a bit of real nostalgia.

In my days in Egypt, many of the cruise ships were still asthmatic survivals of the Victorian steam age; rustbuckets, long past their prime. But so damnably elegant.

Like this, or these, or this (now modernised, but still sailing). When one of these was due in, we used to ride over to the Nile Club on our Flying Pigeons (yup, really!), sneak generous measures of gin into the fresh squeezed lime juice, play backgammon under the palm trees ... and just watch these boats and their passengers. Happy days.

And dream that I'd take that cruise one day. Ah well.

Top Bottom