Fugly cruise ships.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's big business in Southampton - I think I remember that they contribute something like £2bn a year to the local economy (happy to be corrected). Seeing a couple moored up on a switch around day is quite a sight. One of the moorings is right opposite Ikea and the larger ships tower over it. Nothing the size of an Ikea should float!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Nothing the size of an Ikea should float!
I'd be happy to see the Blue and Yellow Shed of Doom sunk myself.
Anyways, while mega cruise ships are indeed ugly as sin (a strange expression, I've always found sin strangely attractive myself), we had a thoroughly nice time on Magellan on a cruise to some fjords last summer. It actually looks like a ship, rather than a floating city.
Capacity for about a thousand people IIRC, but more like 700 on our trip.
Ours was the cabin behind the first lifeboat.
ship11-100721-1.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I did a Göta canal cruise on this boat.

The canals link some very large inland seas. I think there were about forty passengers on the voyage I did. It starts in Göteborg and ends in Stockholm. After a few days in Stockholm, I travelled back to Göteborg by train.

I did not know at the time, that @Dayvo was in Stockholm, as I had only recently joined Cyclechat.

Is that the one Timothy West and Prunella Scales sailed on in that recent series about them travelling along a variety of canals??

Just looked it up, sorry, it was the Juno they sailed on.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have only seen a few episodes of Timothy West and Prunella Scales on canal trips in this county, not any of the ones abroad.

M/S Juno and M/S Diana are very similar to the Wilhelm Tham.

I think it was the first two episodes in the most recent series.

They met Krister Hendrikson AKA Wallander too, except that he looked like he needed a good wash.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Göteborg has a Maritime Museum.

I have always wanted to go into a submarine.

snorri

Legendary Member
Compare that to a REAL cruise ship from half a century ago.....

qe2.jpg
Yebbut QE2 was built as a liner, only becoming a cruise ship when the liner trade had died. Many ex liners were converted for cruising and fine looking vessels they were.
Anyway, with modern cruise ships its not the sweeping curves of the hull that gain plus points with prospective passengers, it's the number of restaurants, swimming pools or bars.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anyway, with modern cruise ships its not the sweeping curves of the hull that gain plus points with prospective passengers, it's the number of restaurants, swimming pools or bars.
And that tells me all I need to know about the type of people who go on cruises, generally! 'Tis my idea of hell. Expensive hell. All those bars are making a fortune too, as they charge shore side prices for alcohol which is not subject to tax. When I were a lad back in 1978 etc. etc. - on board prices were completely tax free. A 26oz bottle of spirits cost 95 pence, or 5p per measure at the bar (paid for by an honesty box system). The can of coke/lemonade whatever to put in it cost 3 times as much at 15p! 200 cigarettes was £2.20. Dirt cheap, even then. No wonder so many Merchant seamen were heavy smoking alcoholics; all of which I believe has been clamped down on and many cargo ships are now "dry".

Top Bottom