Fuji Transonic and Powertap C1 chainring with Joule GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
My latest purchases have been a Fuji Transonic and the new Powertap chain ring device. While it's winter and I would like to have a 1000 miles on each before writing a review, when it's summer I hope to be enjoying the riding rather than the writing.

Bought the Fuji Transonic 2.5 from Performance Bike because of price, flexible return policy and points (usually a 10% value towards future purchases). Without those advantages I might have looked at Cannondale or Specialized longer. The idea of getting an all carbon, aero bike based on their Norcom model and some Ultegra components was a plus. My plan is to use points to upgrade all of the components to Ultegra.

The Fuji Transonic 2.5 brakes are OK. If I was keeping the Tektro I would have immediately swapped the brake pads for KoolStop pads as that greatly improved the braking on my Fuji Roubaix. The Oval concept wheels are OK and will be a good spare set as I have upgraded to some Flo Wheels. Was tempted to get the Ultegra wheels yet for the same money, there were 30mm aero wheels available from Flo. Also replaced the crank arms with newish Ultegra cranks that I found on Slowtwitch for $90. Besides the look of all Ultegra, the cranks were 170cm. I wanted to try a shorter length to see if that difference makes a difference. Also moved my Selle Italia saddle onto my newer bike and moved the new Oval saddle to my old bike.

A full carbon bike does make a difference with ride quality everywhere there is a bump. My three mile loop goes from as smooth as glass to cracked pavement to bumps and holes. I used to have to account for the bumps and holes with an out of saddle move for my comfort. The cracks were a pain too for my overall speed. A full carbon bike increases my speed and reduces the need to alter ones ride as the road deteriorates.

The aero bike is faster. I can tell on the downhill where there is no pedaling involved that the mph recorded is faster. Especially where there are bumps the combination of carbon and aero is a plus for speed. The aero is more quiet wind wise. The aero tends to steer itself straighter and continues to head in the direction it's pointed. I've put on clip on aero bars (as much for a third place to rest my hands and arms while riding as for aeroness). I can relax my elbows on the pads with my hands between the aero bars and rest because there seems to be no squiggle.

The bike seems stiffer than the Fuji Roubaix. This maybe due to the sum of the components, wheels and frame. I am keeping my Fuji Roubaix though as I appreciate that six year old bike even more. While the Transonic is an upgrade, the Roubaix is certainly a good bike and if one doesn't have the extra money, I don't think it's worth spending the money to go from the $1000 bike to the $2000 bike. There's just not twice the benefit.

Perhaps I'm putting together my last bicycle as an older rider: softer ride, shorter cranks and one with aero benefits to lessen the loss in my speed over time.

Bought Powertap chain ring when it came out and initially had it on my Fuji Roubaix. Wish I had bought it at Performance Bike because I have been tempted to take it back. Initially was excited to know the watts, cadence, left/right leg balance, etc. However, the more I use it the less happy I am with it for these reasons.

1) I'm getting older at 61, even with the feedback, I doubt if my wattage or performance improves year after year because I am already well trained and fit. The device might help me limit or slow my loses; yet, I think power meters might be more useful for the up and coming. A watch is a much cheaper way to let me know how I'm doing and I think I liked the focus better when I was simply timing checkpoints.

2) Don't find it easy to download and review data. This could be my fault as I'm on Windows Vista and not very savvy. However, even Powertap's help desk did not find it easy either and they sent some fixes which are hard to remember.

3) Finally the Joule GPS might not be the best computer to go with Powertap. Since it was the same manufacturer, I mistakenly assumed it would be. Just the simplest thing like a start and stop button would be great but it takes a while to acquire a satellite so I can't get just the data I want. The data from the parking lot could be with the ride or one could be blocks down the road before data/clock kicks in.

4) Spending time recording data is not my cup of tea. It's one thing if it's instantly recorded and accessible. Spending over a few minutes recording data is too much for me. I wouldn't mind spending time to analyze however I am spending more time recording data than analyzing it. I might go back to simply measuring time, distance and speed. After all that is how they select the winners and how you place.

Overall happy with the Transonic and wondering about the Powertap.

Top Bottom