Fulcrum 3 or ksyrium elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
for what kind of riding..?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
In weight terms, there is about 5g seperating them (the Fulcrum being the heavier).

The Mavic have shallower rims at 22mm front, 25mm rear, the Fulcrum have 26mm front, 30mm rear.

Both have bladed spokes.

Fulcrum have fewer spokes on the front 16, vs 18, rear on the fulcrum has 1 more, 21 vs 20.

So.... based on what I know of you and the riding you do, I am going to recommend the Fulcrum 3, weight difference is negligible, but the deeper rim and extra spoke (lol, 1 extra spoke) on the rear should mean a nice strong wheel (there are some assumptions that go with this, one being that they have optimally extruded the rim to make the most of the increased area).

But this is only my interpretation of the spec, I haven't read reviews of either wheel so not sure of how they fare in the real world, I am going purely on the published spec.

In weight terms, there is about 5g seperating them (the Fulcrum being the heavier).

The Mavic have shallower rims at 22mm front, 25mm rear, the Fulcrum have 26mm front, 30mm rear.

Both have bladed spokes.

Fulcrum have fewer spokes on the front 16, vs 18, rear on the fulcrum has 1 more, 21 vs 20.

So.... based on what I know of you and the riding you do, I am going to recommend the Fulcrum 3, weight difference is negligible, but the deeper rim and extra spoke (lol, 1 extra spoke) on the rear should mean a nice strong wheel (there are some assumptions that go with this, one being that they have optimally extruded the rim to make the most of the increased area).

But this is only my interpretation of the spec, I haven't read reviews of either wheel so not sure of how they fare in the real world, I am going purely on the published spec.

I'm going to provide some balance by saying that I would buy the Mavics. I've no idea why I have come to that conclusion, but it levels the score again.. ;)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ohhhh ok thanks mate

Sorry my mistake, when I googled it I jumped on the 1st hit, which was a 50mm carbon clincher, having looked again, there are several RS80 wheelsets, the non 50mm deep section RS80 is called the RS80-C24 and is about 30-35g lighter than the fulcrum or the mavic, spoke count is 16 front, 20 rear. Rim height 24mm (official Shimano website says 24mm front, 23mm rear). Spokes also bladed.

The spec's are very similar, it will be a case of take your pick I suppose.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Basically deeper rim = more aero but at the expense of more weight. Also IMO deep section rims look more pro :tongue: Generally speaking it should also be a stiffer wheel. The downsides other then weight are more liable to be blown about in the wind if you have deep section wheels.

jayonabike