Fulcrum 5 vs 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have Campag Zonda's, which I guess equate to the 5's? n+1 is coming with the 7's, so a switcheroo will see the Z's on the Bianchi and the 7's on way to my Defy 1.

Has anyone used both? Can you feel a noticeable difference between? Ideally don't want to have to go and buy another pair of Z's. Lol.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think the 7s compare in terms of weight to the 5s and the Zondas are better than the 5s it seems so...

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers Vickster. Looks like my soon to be Winter Defy might ge a tad slower then. Must resist upgrading though!

Can I assume that the 7's are still better than stock Defy 1 hoops? Or should I consider selling the 7's on brand new, for whatever they are worth?

razer17

I'm looking at the Fulcrum 7's and the Mavic Aksiums. Both are £150.

I was planning on waiting and getting some better ones later down the line, but I managed to buckle my rear avoiding a ****** driver. And in my fury I didn't even take his number plate. Anyhow, I intend to get my current wheel sorted, but I'll keep it as a spare/ winter wheel.

I'm a more... robust rider, so durability is more of an issue than just weight. Saving 100g on my wheels probably won't make much of a difference till the rider saves a few kilos.

bpsmith

Veteran
Not all Fulcrum Racing 7's are created equal it seems, but would like confirmation from another owner please?

Had my bike fit today and my fitter reckons that I have a non standard with my new Bianchi.

He said that they don't normally come with asymmetric rear rims and adjustable preload on the hubs. Can anyone confirm?

HovR

Über Member
To those undecided, I'd definitely recommend the 7's. I've taken mine down paths no road bike should ever see, and they're still dead true. Fortunately the bearings were, and still are, perfect, so I've never had to service them. I don't even know if they're cartridge or cup & cone to be honest... :whistle:

bpsmith

Veteran
@HovR are your 7's Asymmetrical at the rear and do they have an adjustable preload via a small allen key on the outside edge of the hub?

HovR

Über Member
@HovR are your 7's Asymmetrical at the rear and do they have an adjustable preload via a small allen key on the outside edge of the hub?

The rear rim is not asymmetrical, and I don't believe they have an adjustable preload set screw, although as I've said, I'm yet to service them.

bpsmith

Veteran
Ok, thanks @HovR

A brief Google suggests that the latest version of the 5 and the 7 both have asymmetrical read rims. The 7's are supposedly around 91 grams lighter than previous models and have 2 less spokes.

I guess that's the thing when giving experience of wheelsets. It depends on the age and version.

HovR

Über Member
Ok, thanks @HovR

A brief Google suggests that the latest version of the 5 and the 7 both have asymmetrical read rims. The 7's are supposedly around 91 grams lighter than previous models and have 2 less spokes.

I guess that's the thing when giving experience of wheelsets. It depends on the age and version.

Yep. Mine are last years. Wasn't really concerned about 91 grams, and they were a fair bit cheaper.

bpsmith

Veteran
Hey, wasn't dissing them at all. Not my style.

Just meant that my bike guy might be mistaking them doing a special edition for Bianchi, that's all.

HovR

Über Member
Hey, wasn't dissing them at all. Not my style.

Just meant that my bike guy might be mistaking them doing a special edition for Bianchi, that's all.

There's been a misunderstanding, I didn't think you were dissing them at all! Thought it might be important to note that I was happy with last years model in-case this years were drastically different, although I have to admit my reply was a bit brief! :smile:

More emoticons needed!

:cheers:

bpsmith

Veteran
Cool. No harm meant. No offence taken. I am actually looking forward to trying them out on my Defy 1. Sadly I would be giving them a fair chance as will be comparing them to the Zonda's running in my new Bianchi.

Top Bottom