Fulcrum Racing Sport DB CX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone have any experience of these wheels? Was just wondering if anyone's clocked up some decent mileage on a set yet and if so how they're shaping up for durability and speed.

Are Fulcrums well-rated generally?

Cheers.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have two pairs of Fulcrum 5s on roadbikes, more than happy :thumbsup: Not that either pair has done 1000 miles yet

D

Deleted member 23692

I've got Fulcum Quattros and I'm constantly amazed how they still run perfectly true despite having had a good number of encounters with some serious potholes., Superb wheels and more than worth the asking price

Fulcrums are made by Campagnolo

I have the fulcrum racing 7 CX's. Stood up to everything I have thrown at them including some off rotating better suited to an mtb. Still perfectly true. Only down side with the cx's is that you have to replace the bearings more often and there are 6 bearings in mind between the 2 wheels but once you have to bearing codes they only cost about £15 to get all of them from non-cycling shops online.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Fulcrums are made by Campagnolo
I did not know that. Thanks.

Only down side with the cx's is that you have to replace the bearings more often
Why so? The Genesis catalogue blurb I'm reading here suggests the opposite -
"With the UK's infamous weather in mind we've opted for the CX version of Fulcrum's new Racing Sport DB wheelset - getting the upgraded hub seals for improved bearing longevity."

Just to add to the general Fulcrum love in. Fulcrum 3's are the best wheels I have used. :wub:

I did not know that. Thanks.

Why so? The Genesis catalogue blurb I'm reading here suggests the opposite -
"With the UK's infamous weather in mind we've opted for the CX version of Fulcrum's new Racing Sport DB wheelset - getting the upgraded hub seals for improved bearing longevity."
On my model the instructions quite clearly state that the bearings should be changed every 5,000km for the CX models and every 10,000km for the 'normal' version of the same wheel. 5,000km for me is roughly every 5 months.

I wonder if they are comparing it to other wheels rather than the same model non CX version?

The freehub is also rather noisy. :huh: you don't generally have to let pedestrians know you are there! Just so peddling and they can hear you! :ohmy:

vickster

Legendary Member
On my model the instructions quite clearly state that the bearings should be changed every 5,000km for the CX models and every 10,000km for the 'normal' version of the same wheel. 5,000km for me is roughly every 5 months.

I wonder if they are comparing it to other wheels rather than the same model non CX version?

The freehub is also rather noisy. :huh: you don't generally have to let pedestrians know you are there! Just so peddling and they can hear you! :ohmy:
It's the clickety free hub that I like :biggrin:

U

User6179

That will be if you use the wheels on the road or off-road , the cartridge bearings in Fulcrum wheels are exactly the same in CX and road versions except the CX are double sealed .

Last edited by a moderator:
That will be if you use the wheels on the road or off-road , the cartridge bearings in Fulcrum wheels are exactly the same in CX and road versions except the CX are double sealed .
I use them for both. And the lane I live down is a disaster area in winter and I live at the very end of it and it is the only way out except for a bridle path which in winter is even worse than the road. The road/lane was the very reason for getting the CX version of the wheels.

I only got about 7,500km from them before the rear started to show signs of wear. Currently the replacements have done 5,000km and age still good. I'm not using that bike now due to health issue but I expected to get another couple of thousand out of them before they needed replacing again.

U

User6179

I use them for both. And the lane I live down is a disaster area in winter and I live at the very end of it and it is the only way out except for a bridle path which in winter is even worse than the road. The road/lane was the very reason for getting the CX version of the wheels.

I only got about 7,500km from them before the rear started to show signs of wear. Currently the replacements have done 5,000km and age still good. I'm not using that bike now due to health issue but I expected to get another couple of thousand out of them before they needed replacing again.

I dont think there is any difference between the CX and normal version other than the bearings so I would just buy the cheaper option at the time and put in the doubled sealed version of the bearings when the bearings wear , the way the bearings are pressed into the hub it would be hard for anything to penetrate the single sealed bearings anyway.

Top Bottom