Fulcrum Racing Sport DB CX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I dont think there is any difference between the CX and normal version other than the bearings so I would just buy the cheaper option at the time and put in the doubled sealed version of the bearings when the bearings wear , the way the bearings are pressed into the hub it would be hard for anything to penetrate the single sealed bearings anyway.
There was only about £5 difference in the retail price when I bought them.

I am just impressed by @SatNavSaysStraightOn monthly mileage/Kms :thumbsup:
& now feel quite inadequate :shy:
I was doing that until my back went in November! I was on track for an 11-12,000km year. You do have to remember that I use the bike for transport and had a 42 mile round commute 3 times a week plus my holidays tend to be cycle touring holidays as well.

Please tell me you're referring to the bearings here, rather than the wheels themselves?
If so, I realise that this must sounds very naive but what are the signs of wear to look out for? Increased noise when spinning the wheel? Cheers.
Yes to wear on the bearings a lateral wheel movement.

The increased noise we are talking about is a clicking from the freehub which is a week known feature of campagnolo wheels (even though the it is a shimano fit cassette for my wheels). They are noisy when you so pedaling and freewheel. It is the pawls in the freehub itself and is apparently a good sign showing their strength!

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Yes to wear on the bearings a lateral wheel movement.
That's a relief, I can cope with replacing bearings at those intervals, but new wheels every year would have been a blow!

The increased noise we are talking about is a clicking from the freehub which is a week known feature of campagnolo wheels (even though the it is a shimano fit cassette for my wheels). They are noisy when you so pedaling and freewheel. It is the pawls in the freehub itself and is apparently a good sign showing their strength!

This is not something I noticed at all on the Fulcrums I test rode. Will keep an ear out when I pick my bike up. Which I was supposed to be doing this Sunday until the bike shop dropped and scratched it, so now I have to wait another 2 weeks for a new one to come in. Still, that means I can pick it up on Valentine's Day, which is apt given how much I've fallen in love with it!

That's a relief, I can cope with replacing bearings at those intervals, but new wheels every year would have been a blow!

This is not something I noticed at all on the Fulcrums I test rode. Will keep an ear out when I pick my bike up. Which I was supposed to be doing this Sunday until the bike shop dropped and scratched it, so now I have to wait another 2 weeks for a new one to come in. Still, that means I can pick it up on Valentine's Day, which is apt given how much I've fallen in love with it!
The sound developed over time as the grease in the freehub leaves the scene of the crime so to speak! The wetter my rides the faster the sound developed on mine!

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
The sound developed over time as the grease in the freehub leaves the scene of the crime so to speak! The wetter my rides the faster the sound developed on mine!
Glad I started this thread now, I would have thought I had a problem and would have been cycling back to York with it no doubt if you hadn't forewarned me about this! As @vickster says, more good reason to keep pedalling. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom