Full or bloated?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a conversation at work recently I've realised that I've always eaten until I was bloated...not just full. Don't know if this is exactly right but I'd always presumed that I would eat dinner etc until I couldn't eat any more...then stopped. Have tried to retrain my brain this last couple of weeks and have been stopping when I think I'm 'full' rather than 'can't eat anymore' and think I'm getting there.
BTW...the family phrases when I was growing up were:
How many bread do you want with tea?
Them's that eat fastest eat the most
Chew it once to make sure it's dead then swallow it

...so thinking it might be that I've had a skewed perception for a while!

So...is there a difference between full and bloated in your opinion?

gbb

Legendary Member
I do the same and it's a bad habit. I like that really full feeling, but realise it's wrong surely.
I wish I could break it. My natural weight was always 10.5 stone, I'm now 11 to 11.5 stone but now have a bit of a launch.

Wish I could stop it.

si_c

Guru
I always used to eat until I couldn't eat anymore, and I eat very quickly, so I always used to overeat.

I let Mrs C control portion size these days, by eating the same as her. Otherwise I just get bloated rather than satiated, it's taken me a long time to work out the difference.

zak3737

Über Member
I think smaller portion sizes for many of us would be a wise move, I really do, I just wish I could remember to do it !!
Must try harder.

(Big eater here, too.

My dad always said that you should leave the dining table knowing that you could have eaten a bit more. Well, that advice wasn't taken by my brother, sister or me.

However, recently I've been consciously eating less, and more healthy food (fruit, veg., pulses, etc.) drinking more water. I've also virtually stopped eating all meat (fish and seafood excluded) and feel considerably better for it.

mustang1

Legendary Member
The only time I under-eat (ie not until bloated) is when I'm on a date.

Also must try harder. I think if I rode more often, more frequently, on harder and longer rides, then I would also eat more sensibly.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Yes, Full is enough, bloated too much...

I like eating, I often eat even when I am not hungry, I am borderline overweight.

Mrs @BoldonLad only eats when she is hungry, and, never to access (yes, some people can be SO irritating), her weight hardly varies, clothes that fitted her 30 yers ago, still fit (or they would if she had not put them in a charity bag, a week after buying them).

My excuse is that I was born just after WW2, and food was in short supply. I have no real idea if that is actually true ;)

mgs315

I tend to find taking time to eat rather than just shovelling it down helps. It’s easy to suddenly go from not full to stuffed if food is figurately inhaled as the stomach hardly has time to catch up.

Also drinking a lot of water before/during works.

Then again I’ve just figured more exercise helps keep me happy and eating sort of what I want when I want.

Top Bottom