"Full Sized" Folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Much as I love my Brompton, the truth is I have her for the train. I have tried this winter to put some miles in on her by cutting out part of the train journey and whilst it's fun it can be hard(er) work after about ten miles and I can't manage my full home to work leg (32 miles) without it being arduous.

So, what I'm looking for is a full sized folder (26" or therabouts) that will satisfy the train company (they don't care as long as it folds) that I can use for longer stretches work to home. I don't want to spend the earth but I'm quite happy to upgrade certain components (e.g. wheels, tyres) to make it a more roadworthy machine. I can and do use the non-folder for this purpose but it means travelling on the train out of peak hours which rarely happens.

Any ideas on make/model? Quite happy with second hand if there's a market.

col

Legendary Member
I seem to remember a normal type bike,that had two collar type screws that effectively broke the bike in half,from the top tube and down tube,it had good reviews if i remember right?It was basically a hybrid,but came apart for travelling,i cant remember its names im afraid,but someone else might remember it?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
In 26" wheel, there's the Dahon Jack - an MTB style folder. There's also the various bikes made by Montague, who've just secured UK distribution.

Montague Bikes

Dahon Jack Review (Foldsoc)

Dahon also make a 700C wheeled folder with a lighter frame (the Cadenza, I think) although people have complained about the reliability of the screw locking the frame together :tongue:

There's the Airnimal too Airnimal although they're quite spendy. I'd be very interested in the outcome of your investigation, as I've been looking at acquiring this type of bike myself.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
For my purposes the Montague and Airnimal (even though I've always lusted after one) are out because I need a quick fold to wheel onto the train. The Airnimal's cost is prohibitive. The Jack is a possibility or the more expensive Cadenza. Thanks for the help.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Airnimal? (spa cycles were doing basic Joey's for about £600 a while ago, good prices on other models too).
Fold is good enough for many trains- but it is big compared to a Brompton. I used one for unscheduled day rides/ short tours using trains to get to and from my start and finish points.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
palinurus said:
Airnimal? (spa cycles were doing basic Joey's for about £600 a while ago, good prices on other models too).
Fold is good enough for many trains- but it is big compared to a Brompton. I used one for unscheduled day rides/ short tours using trains to get to and from my start and finish points.

Doh! That's it you've sown the seed now.:smile:

stevew

My 2007 Dahon Jetstream P8 works well for longer rides, much better than the B, although it has 20" wheels the differance is vast. Under 400 quid off ebay.

Ive never been impressed with any of the Montagues or other full sized folders I've seen. Stevew is on the right track, twenty inch wheels do seem to roll better than 16ers. A few folks at work have recently tested the works Brompton against our fleet Dahons and all report a significant difference in rolling efficiency. The fold isn't as compact but selecting a folding bike is all about juggling compromises.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
ChrisKH said:
Doh! That's it you've sown the seed now.:tongue:

Maybe, the Airnimal bikes are really designed so they can be taken apart and put in a suitcase rather than for quick folds for the train but they do come apart fairly easily. I've never used one for a regular commute on the train (i've never had a regular commute on a train is why). Worth a look tho', you'll need to decide based on the particular type of train you get and how crowded it generally is.

robrinay

I rate the Dahon Jack as it has a much better folding mechanism than its Dahon predecessor - I had one of these and sold it on at an Antique Fair. (can’t remember its name) because I was lucky enough to get a Jack cheap - the seller didn’t know what he had and charged me £60 for one in mint condition. He’d bought it (legally) from a Police sale ie an unclaimed stolen goods auction. It served me well until I saved up for a Brompton. My son has since inherited/cadged it.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
You might be able to find a xootr swift used. Folds quick but not too small and although it has 20 tires you can go quickly, sort of a poor man's Moulton. No longer made but a used one may be available. Bike forums has a 153 page thread on them. Mine weighs about 25 lbs with 8 speeds and a leather saddle.

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 22.03.51.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Since I posted about the price of a basic Airnimal Joey from Spa (£600) in this thread 10 years ago they've increased in price to £1300 (Bikefix, Joey Sport)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
True - I hadn’t spotted that but with the exact science of hindsight isn’t it a thread worth refreshing?

Sure, someone might be searching the forum for a larger-sized folder and maybe there are some more options around now. It's just a surprise when an old thread reappears.

Top Bottom