Full Titanium frame Brompton clone.... 5.9kg!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
As if the Chinese care about UK patent lawyers.
As if we care about international property rights, we go around bombing and support unrest in developing nations to "secure" resourses.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As if we care about international property rights, we go around bombing and support unrest in developing nations to "secure" resourses.
No bombing here, but plenty of Chinese.
I'd be interested to know which developing countries the UK are supposed to be dropping TNT on but I think that's a bit outdated now.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
No bombing here, but plenty of Chinese.
I'd be interested to know which developing countries the UK are supposed to be dropping TNT on but I think that's a bit outdated now.

Do we still have the odd plane near Syria to show willing ?

fossala

Guru

Kell

Veteran
If their targets are in China their spittle will soon dry up but not before they've removed a large chunk of cash from Brompton.

Especially when you see the Chinese copycat cars that have so far been ruled (by the Chinese investigators) as not copyright/IP infringement.

The Landwind X7 is not a clone of the Land Rover Evoque. Apparently.

landwind-x7-launch-china-1a.jpg

Last edited:

fossala

Guru
No mention of bombing though fossy.

As for Syria it's the Russians that look to that one pretty much tied up.
I would argue it's us funding and supporting rebels to overthrow yet another democraticly elected government that has fuelled the conflict. Same with Gaddafi and look what happened when Hussian tried to move from the pedrodollar.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The patent has run out, so Brompton now sue clone manufacturers using copyright law. They can't really stop the Chinese making clones (the Chinese really don't care about copyright) but they will pounce on any that appear over here. ISTR that they stopped sales of the Merc on the basis that Neobike had copied the plans when they were lent them as part of a proposed joint venture (which never happened). The Merc was basically a Brompton with an alu frame - some people spoke very highly of them, although the seatposts tended to slip down.

simongt

Guru
although the seatposts tended to slip down.
Interesting; that's a problem I always had with a Giant Halfway that I'd previously owned, as had another Halfway owner I met once. I resolved the issue by fitting a regular seat clamp, which rather negated the easy fold quality of said bike - ! :dry:

keithmac

Guru
They'll have a UK office but will be drop shipped from China to the customers more than likely.

Will be a nightmare for Brompton if the decided to drag them through the courts on copyright (copywrite?) infringement.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you read the thread linked in the OP you'll discover it's a one-off job made by a mad engineer in the US as a wedding anniversary present for his wife - hence the "SJ (heart) SP" chain tensioner. I have no doubt that if he has ideas of going into production and selling in the most litigious country in the world he'll be shut down faster than you can say "Andrew Ritchie is quite protective of his designs and the Brompton is used by the IPO as a case study."

berlinonaut

Veteran
If you read the thread linked in the OP you'll discover it's a one-off job made by a mad engineer in the US

I'd not be sure that the creator of the bike is from the US, he didn't outline his place of living. I'd assume he's somewhere in Asia, judging from his posts. And I cannot read that he would be an engineer as well. Where did you get the info that he would be an US-based engineer?
His build is a one off - but he did not build the frame. You can simply buy it on ebay.

I have no doubt that if he has ideas of going into production and selling in the most litigious country in the world he'll be shut down faster than you can say "Andrew Ritchie is quite protective of his designs and the Brompton is used by the IPO as a case study."

Why would this guy want to go to serial production? The makers of the frame are already, they seem to build them to order. Andrew Richie has btw. stepped back from doing active business at Brompton already a while ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom